1983 750ed spongy brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 750ed spongy brakes

is there any way of boosting the rear brakes. they seem slack as in they do not grab, i have bleed the system but no big difference. i can not lock up tthe back tire, seems odd.

Check your hoses while stepping on the brake. If you can feel them flex it is time to replace them. Have you changed the fluid lately? Hope this helps, Bill

Comment

Check your pads, sometimes, especially if they've been very hot, they will get hard like glass, I think you call it crystallize. When this happens the pad won't grip the rotor very well.

Comment

Re: 1983 750ed spongy brakes

If the brakes do not "grab" the rotor, its likely there is insufficient
        pressure to move the pads in the calipers. Assuming there is brake fluid in the system, either the master cylinder is not working or the brake lines really arent satisfactorily bled. The pucks could be sticking in the calipers, but the amount of hydraulic pressure available would mean they would almost have to be welded in place. If they were that stuck, they would still probably grip, but would not return so the brake would drag extremely badly.
        When you bled the system, did you keep fluid in the master cylinder at all times? When you depressed the foot brake, did you hold the brake down, open the bleeder valve while still holding the brake and then close the bleeder valve while still holding the brake ? (this would be the sequence for one depression of the brake pedal) I.E. put pressure on the brake pedal, open bleeder valve, continue pressing on pedal until it bottoms out, HOLD at bottom and close bleeder valve BEFORE releasing brake pedal.

Earl

Originally posted by katt68
        is there any way of boosting the rear brakes. they seem slack as in they do not grab, i have bleed the system but no big difference. i can not lock up tthe back tire, seems odd.
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
        X