No announcement yet.

Cam Troubles/Timing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could drop the oil into a clean pan just to have a look at it. If it's okay just put it back in the motor. How does your clutch lever feel, is something going on there? Your spark plugs will be able to tell you if anything fell in the motor. I still think it may be the starter clutch though. I know mine makes an upsetting noise every time I start or turn off the bike.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny
      Maybe you could go into more specifics as to what you did for repairs, what the squeeling sounds like (constant, pulsing, etc), when does it squeel (all the time, only at idle). Have you tried turning the motor over with a wrench to check for any problems? Have you run a compression test?
      I didnt do a compression test. I thought about doing one before I replaced the head gasket but i figured with a bad headgasket I wasnt gonna get any decent compression anyway.
      After installing the cams and adjusting the timing I turned the engine over several times. After i took the spark plugs out it was pretty easy to turn over with a socket. It did take a little effort but not much...is it supposed to be super smooth? It was smooth for 1/4 turn then a little tougher, then smooth, then tougher etc.

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
        You could drop the oil into a clean pan just to have a look at it. If it's okay just put it back in the motor. How does your clutch lever feel, is something going on there? Your spark plugs will be able to tell you if anything fell in the motor. I still think it may be the starter clutch though. I know mine makes an upsetting noise every time I start or turn off the bike.

Steve
        How do your sparkplugs let you know if something fell into the motor?

Comment

They will be pounded flat by whatever is getting tossed around.

Steve

Comment

I called my mechanic and told him whats been going on. I put the phone on the ground and had him try to hear to the noise. I said it sounds like a massive air leak in the cylinder heads. and that the sound is the engine puffing trying to keep pressure up. The book said to torque the head bolts to 27lbs. He told me to go ahead and try 35lbs and check to see if one of the headers isnt making a decent connection. I am getting some exuast gaskets and we'll see how that works out.

Comment

Working...
            X