Any Harley owners out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Harley owners out there?

I've been thinking about an entry level Harley, probably a Sportster. A friend of mine told two things to remember about Harleys.
    #1 H-D stands for Hundred - Dollars, anything you purchase for a Harley is at least a Hundred Dollars.
    #2 "if it ain?t leaking, it ain?t a Harley."

Any truth to these?

If you?re a Harley owner, any recommendations?

I own a 2001 Sportster and he is right. They cost alot of bucks and they do seem to leaks alittle but thats what I like about a Harley. Also there is alot of history behind the Sportster sence 1957.
    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

What's a Harley? Is that a brand of motorcycle? Never heard of it...

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
        What's a Harley? Is that a brand of motorcycle? Never heard of it...

Nick
        Oh, Nick, I am sure that you must have overtaken a few in your long riding career.

Simon

Comment

Oh, Simon, I remember now. A Harley must be the MotoGuzzi whose engine is turned 90 degrees in the frame!

Yeah, I've passed those things, even though they reminded me of Suzuki Intruders and Kawasaki Vulcans and such... I'll say that H brand is a poor imitation of those two bikes I mentioned.

Nick

Comment

Ok, Ok. I'm too old for my crotch rocket GS 750, it's dam uncomfortable leaning forward on long rides, and I'm beat when I get back.

Racing Jake wrote:
            own a 2001 Sportster and he is right. They cost alot of bucks and they do seem to leaks alittle but thats what I like about a Harley. Also there is alot of history behind the Sportster sence 1957.
            Thanks for the reply. I agree they are expensive, but there are no substitutes for a genuine Harley. I''d still prefer a Harley.
            The GS 750 was my 1st bike, I'll never sell it, it?s a great bike, it just doesn't suit all of my riding situations.

Comment

Yeap I hate Harley's too, that's why I ride a Davidson

Comment

HD :P I could pay all of the expenses including gas for MY GS850 for the year for the difference in insurance costs

Comment

I don't own a Harley, but the later the model the better it will be. The latest sporsters are supposed to be quite ok, a big improvement on the last model.

Comment

I have seen many H-Ds here in Norway ,they are mostly standing on
                    the roadside, next to the Dandelion.

GS1000GLx

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                      HD :P I could pay all of the expenses including gas for MY GS850 for the year for the difference in insurance costs
                      Just wait until you pay thousands of dollar's for the chrome goodies.

Once you buy one you just can't leave it stock

Comment

Harley

Let's see, Harley........ahhhhhh I believe their new model is the FXZCRAMMHVBGGM-O-U-S-E OIL GLIDE!!! !!!!

Comment

I'm not sure if this still holds water, but it used to be the way to go was with an 883 then do the 1200 kit from Wiseco. The Wiseco 1200 was supposed to be smoother than the factory 1200 and saved quite a few bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister T
                            Ok, Ok. I'm too old for my crotch rocket GS 750, it's dam uncomfortable leaning forward on long rides, and I'm beat when I get back.
                            I agree they are expensive, but there are no substitutes for a genuine Harley. I''d still prefer a Harley.
                            1) A GS750 is a crotch rocket? I think a GSXR750 qualifies, but a GS??
                            2) Do not expect a Sportster to be comfortable on long rides. You'll dream about being on that GS. They are brutal paint-shakers and the straight-up riding position is hell on a spine. The big Electra Glides and Road Kings are quite comfortable if ungodly slow, but $$$$ is a whole different ball park. If you must get a Sportster, buy a 2004. The engine's are rubber-mounted now and they're less likely to shake the p i s s out of you.
                            3) Actually, Sportsters aren't that expensive. They are, however, worth less than you pay. The high-end Harleys, though antiques, are relatively well-built and finished. The Sportster is relatively cheap and shows it everywhere. It is a very crude machine. And horribly uncomfortable. And as soon as you start modifying it for more power, it loses what little reliability it had.

Harley's a very elitist snobby slow club and the members don't really consider the Sportster to be a Harley. So, by buying a Sportster you've paid too much for an inferior bike and you don't even get to join the club.

Buy a new Bonneville if you want a nostalgic ride. Better looking, better built, more comfortable and more fun to ride.
                            "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...dStatesMap.jpg

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Originally posted by Bert Patterson
                              Buy a new Bonneville if you want a nostalgic ride. Better looking, better built, more comfortable and more fun to ride.
                              Which flavour:

Bonneville

Bonneville America

Boneville T100

Bonneville Speedmaster

Bonneville Thruxton 900

Simon

Comment

Working...
                              X