No announcement yet.

Any Harley owners out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simon, that Thruxton is the one that makes me drool. Peter's green T100 is also pretty sweet. The Thruxton has more power too. Hopefully I'll get to take one for a ride once Lyall gets one in. He's pretty good about that.

Even though I didn't understand the whole 'z' vs. 's' issue, I've had a lot of old British bikes. You'd think I'd be a better mechanic.
    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...dStatesMap.jpg

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Well Bert, you make an interesting argument for not buying a Harley. I'm not in the Jay Leno celebrity class, definitely not in the snob class. I've not ridden a Harley, if they are vibrators, I'll steer clear.
      I've been watching eBay, Marauders, Intruders, Road Stars and Gold Wings, not looking to spend a lot.
      Thanks for the info.

Comment

There are only 2 HD's I would ever consider owning: XR750 (which I don't think I could ride on the street) or the XLCR (I think it was 77-79) HD's attempt at a Cafe Racer. I thought it was pretty cool as a High School freshman, all black and sinister.

If you do purchase a HD, remember, true HD riders do not wave at "Jap Bikers". You can always tell the ones who purchase them for status, they are the ones who wave back to you when you ride a sportbike. Though this doesn't stop me from giving them the "low 2" just for giggles.

Now when the weather gets really cold, but no snow, even the true bikers will give you the "low 2" if you still have the guts to be on the road. I guess it shows you are "manly" after all.

Kenny

Comment

Originally posted by KennyJ
          If you do purchase a HD, remember, true HD riders do not wave at "Jap Bikers". You can always tell the ones who purchase them for status, they are the ones who wave back to you when you ride a sportbike. Kenny
          When I got my first bike in 1998 at 16, I had a 72 honda cb500. And a bunch of Satan Choices (now the Hell`s angels) riders wave at me first except for the young guy at the back of the pack. If they are not true HD riders then who is?

Comment

Well Heck, you've done better than me...

The ONLY time the "true" bikers have ever given me notice is when I am on the highway in sub 30 degree weather, only then have I received the "low 2".

Cool that they "recognized" you!

Kenny

Comment

Originally posted by KennyJ
              There are only 2 HD's I would ever consider owning: XR750 (which I don't think I could ride on the street) or the XLCR (I think it was 77-79) HD's attempt at a Cafe Racer. I thought it was pretty cool as a High School freshman, all black and sinister.
              Yeah, the XR750 does it for me. I think it had about 90hp and weighed under 300#. No electric start, no kickstart, only the pushstart option. One brake, in the rear, relying mostly on compression braking. Beautiful, rare, and probably would take a little work to get it street-ready.

The XLCR is very cool. Nicer riding position than a Sportster (I'm much fonder of a sport position), but still essentially a thrashing Sportster.

Guy I ride with has several bikes and has managed somehow to confiscate his brothers over time (he's the only one that still rides). He's got two dirtbikes (him and his son), an '84 Kaw Voyager, '78 Kaw Z1R that he bought new, '78 Guzzi Lemans, '78 Duc (I believe an 860 - definitely a less desireable design and year) and a totally restored '78 XLCR. We decided last spring to impress Egan and he would ride the XLCR and I'd ride the Lemans on the Crud Run. I ended up riding his Lemans, but Tom rode the Voyager (sad). When he tried to get the XLCR running, it spewed gas all over and the carb burst into flames.

Pretty bike tho.
              "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...dStatesMap.jpg

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Originally posted by Mister T
                Well Bert, you make an interesting argument for not buying a Harley. I'm not in the Jay Leno celebrity class, definitely not in the snob class. I've not ridden a Harley, if they are vibrators, I'll steer clear.
                I've been watching eBay, Marauders, Intruders, Road Stars and Gold Wings, not looking to spend a lot.
                Thanks for the info.
                Keep an eye on the Intruders. I have a friend that bought a new 800 last year and loves it. I ridden it and it is a very sweet bike. A little low for me, but at 6'4" I fit fine on my GS1100E.
                That and the Intruder is still a Suzuki 8) 8)
                Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                2000 Kawasaki Concours
                Please wear ATGATT

Comment

That and the Intruder is still a Suzuki

...and a shaftie!

Nick

Comment

I've been watching this one on eBay, not an Intruder, they seem to be a bit rare. This one is not far from me, no shipping involved. It will probably go for than I can afford right now.

Comment

Careful T. If it ain't leaking oil it ain't a Harley...but if it is leaking oil it might be a BSA! 8O

Comment

You guys must have some real jerk HD riders in your areas. I get waves all da time...

Cept they don't seem to like it when I pass em like they are standin still /grins evilly

Comment

Nah, Harley guys are good dudes for the most part! They're just fair game, same way we are for them. But, where ever ya go there ya are and some on both sides will go overboard at times...that's life.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
                            That and the Intruder is still a Suzuki

...and a shaftie!

Nick
                            Nick is a rabble rouser

Comment

It does appear the love for Harley's are image driven. Personally, I'd rather have a more refined machine like the honda goldwing...the latest BMW touring bike...

BTW, I saw a pretty cool bike at the Cleveland Cycle-World Convention: Moto Guzzi California Special Titanium. I sat on this and loved it. Felt like our "old-school" late 1970's early 1980's sport bikes....fast...but comfortable.

Comment

Working...
                              X