New to GS, what should I look for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to GS, what should I look for

Hello, just signed on to this group. I am about to buy my first Suzuki, an 85 GS 700e. It has been sitting on a heated porch under a tarp for two years. Can anyone hear give me some advice as to what I should watch out for? I am in Pennsylvania, near Reading. The bike is just north of Philadelphia. He says it has never been dropped. Are these bikes as bullet-proof as they sound reading through the archives? Thanks in advance for any help.

Yes, they are bullet proof.

What kind of tarp is it? If it does not breathe, then there may be a bit of rust due to it. I don't like to put tarps on my bikes. I once saw an old Pontiac that was under one - it was nice before the tarp was on it - a year later the condensation under the tarp rusted it silly.

Comment

I bought, tore apart and put back together a 1982 GS Katana so I'll let you know what I went through: -

1. Rust in the fuel tank - can be treated with phosphoric acid and coated but buy a fuel filter and put it in the fuel line. I didn't the first time I ran her and ...yes....had to clean the carbs out again.
      2. Carbs..air box...inlet manifold..separating the 3...complete and utter pain in the arse...but necessary, there is no shortcut to removing the carbs completely and cleaning them thoroughly, even all the tiny little passage ways..then you have to put them back in...thats another hour of entertainment!
      3. brakes - probably seized, you need to take them apart, fit new seals and dust rubbers, replace the brake fluid and if you're sweet for cash get steel brake lines.
      4. Check the charging system..plenty of posts in here tell you how to do that..and get a nice new battery
      5. If you can get details of any mods or bodge jobs done on the bike- I didn't and learnt the hard way of the wiring bodges and the fact that some owner had fitted raised bars - bought a throttle cable and it didn't fit!
      6. new tyres - definitely a must, likely to be bakelite if stored for extended periods.
      7. Otherwise check sprockets, chain for wear and shocks for leaking oil, likewise the forks...basically everything you would look at on any older bike
      Good news is the engine is pretty bloody bombproof, its the little accessories round it that mmight need worked on.
      Good luck - its actually worth it in the end

Comment

Thanks for the tips. In the past I rebuilt a 73 Yamaha RD 350 and an 80 Kawasaki LTD440. These were both OK bikes, but I am 6'3" and 275lbs, so they were slow to say the least. After searching through the archives, I am a tad worried about the charging system.

Comment

One of the easiest things on the bike to check, repair or replace is the charging system. Sure not anything to worry about. We can go through that part of it when you get to it. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by KBuck
          Thanks for the tips. In the past I rebuilt a 73 Yamaha RD 350 and an 80 Kawasaki LTD440. These were both OK bikes, but I am 6'3" and 275lbs, so they were slow to say the least. After searching through the archives, I am a tad worried about the charging system.
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Restoration.......

KBuck:
            I found an 1150 that had been parked OUTSIDE for three or four years, in the rain, it had been a dragrace veteren ..besides some major engine work,
            1- The seat had deteriorated from sunlight(Ultraviolet rays)
            2- the tires also had deteriorated (Cracks from UV)
            3- The front calipers seized (Broke free without leaks when bled)
            4-Rear master cylinder rusted up solid & replaced
            5- Replaced chain & sprockets
            6- Cleaned out gummed up carbs
            7-Misc. rust, cleaned up
            Running down the road now...I would shoot a short shot of WD-40 down the plug holes & turn it over with the plugs out to free up some possible rust there
            Rick.......
            R

Comment

Working...
            X