Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

broken bougies

Hi there,

I have a '78 gs 750. The engine runs very well, but I have a problem with the bougie of the fourth cilinder. I had replaced it with a new one recently, because the old one was broken. (NGK BP8ES) About a month later it was broken again. Is this coincedense, or would I have a problem with the ignition? (bobine or contact points or something)
    Does this happen more often? Or would this just be an incedent?
    I would like to know how you guys think about it.

Thanks a lot,

greetings

Frank

Re: broken bougies

Originally posted by Frank
    Hi there,

I have a '78 gs 750. The engine runs very well, but I have a problem with the bougie of the fourth cilinder. I had replaced it with a new one recently, because the old one was broken. (NGK BP8ES) About a month later it was broken again. Is this coincedense, or would I have a problem with the ignition? (bobine or contact points or something)

Thanks a lot,

greetings

Frank
    When you say it is broken, how is it broken? Is the porcelain top broken off or is the electrode missing or is there some other way it is broken?

Hap
    Je ne sais pa.

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call

When you say it is broken, how is it broken? Is the porcelain top broken off or is the electrode missing or is there some other way it is broken?

Hap
      Je ne sais pa.
      When you take it out is the electrode black and smelling of gas? and it doesn't spark anymore?

I have a sus-picion that you are Dutch, is this correct?

btw...

bougie = sparkplug
      bobine = coil

Goodluck!

Comment

yes, you're right, i'm dutch. What gave me away? Not my flawless Englisch I hope?

The bougie is broken means it doesn't spark anymore.
        The elektrode is black, and wet from the gasoline.
        I don't mean the bougie is physically dammaged.

thank's for your reply's so far!

greetings

Frank

Comment

Try a NGKB8ES plug first, the BP is a projector tip plug that is not specified for the bike, at least with the information I have here.

Comment

I have a 1979 750E and the correct plug is NGKB8ES. It sounds as if your bougie is fouling out. Too high a gas level in the #4 float bowl can cause the mixture to be excessively rich. I set my float level at 24-25mm.
            Since it is only the #4 cylinder, I do not think it is an ignition problem.
            Also, if the #4 carburetor is out of synchronization with the others and drawing too much fuel (an example of excess vacuum) it will cause the spark plug/bougie to foul and not spark.

Earl

Originally posted by Frank
            Hi there,

Thanks a lot,

greetings

Frank
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

As suggested above, put the right sparkplugs in, properly gapped. Also make sure the coil/plug lead/plug caps have clean, solid connections. If you still foul the plug, you have a carb problem. Any fuel spilling from the floatbowl overflow line?
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Welcome Frank! You have found just the right forum! There's a lot of GS knowledge on this site.
                Stramproy is in Limburg, am I right? Closer to Pete Logan in Luxemburg than Robin and me.

As for your problem:
                Earl is right:

First make sure you have the right spark plugs (bougies):
                B8ES

Synchronize the carbs, or take the bike to a shop, to have them synched

If all fails, check the float hight, like Earl mentioned.

BTW Frank:
                Feel free to email me at: ons-adres@wanadoo.nl , if you have any problem.

And please become an active member. We need some Dutch influence here......

Comment

Now, ain't this hyar innernet one fassinatin' gizmo. Jus yestiddy I didn't even kno' my BIKE had them thar bougies...But, that sure reminds me of a ol'girl frend... she had a set of bougies that would emmm a wrong thread! 8O

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor
                    Now, ain't this hyar innernet one fassinatin' gizmo. Jus yestiddy I didn't even kno' my BIKE had them thar bougies...But, that sure reminds me of a ol'girl frend... she had a set of bougies that would emmm a wrong thread! 8O
                    Only Dutch spec bikes have this special feature :mrgreen: It gives thebike some extra 'swing'. You can go ahead and be jealeous now...

Comment

thanks for the info.
                      I did have the wrong sparkplugs, but that has been changed now.

Comment

Working...
                      X