Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1979 Factory GS1000 Yoshimura Racer, Primary Gear Problems??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 Factory GS1000 Yoshimura Racer, Primary Gear Problems??

Hello All,
    I need the help of a Performance Guru.
    This problem is kicking my ass.

Im restoring a Factory racer, Trying to get it ready to be ridden at Daytone Vintage race in March.

This was Roberto Pietri's 1979 machine, It was purchased from Pop's for $10,000 in 79 by Roberto.

My problem is the following, I opened the clutch cover to find the whole clutch assy is missing........Not a huge deal. But....

The Primary Gear on my crankshaft is 53 Teeth, I need to find out what Yoshimura was running for the number of teeth on the clutch gear.

I know that the priviteer bikes ran a GS750 Ratio which is 99 teeth on the clutch and 46 on the crank.
    I don't believe a 99 clutch gear and a 53 primary gear on the crank will mesh, I believe they will be too large.
    Any help would be great!
    Brian
    superbike0@aol.com [/b]

Have you thought about someone like falicon? You could possibly get them to put you a set of straight cuts gears on your crank and a gear for your hub. I know it would be expensive but its probably the way to go if you can`t find parts.

Comment

Can't contact Yosh themselves? Maybe Pops' son could help you if he's available. They must have some record of stuff like that. Too bad the ol' man wasn't still around.

Comment

Theres a guy in New Zealand who races a Yoshi spec GS1000.
        His names Craig, if you want his email address send me a pm.
        I'm sure he would like to chat with you.

Comment

you could try www.gremlinracing.co.uk they race a yoshi motored harris mono shock frame bike and make the close ratio box same as yoshi used plus great web site and good to deal with ..i will have my bike home in a week or so and can check the clutch in it if u are still stuck its got the cr box as well msg me if u need ozman

Comment

Only One Problem with asking "Pops"...

...he's deceased. About 4 years now, I reckon. Left us about the same time as his contemporary Soichiro Honda did.

vini alesi

Comment

Thanks for everybodys input on the Yosh bike!

This is what I've found out about the gears.

What Im searching for is a 92 tooth Primary gear that Vance and Hines made in the late 70's, it came as a set of straight cut gears.

Im unsure if these were sold just to Yoshimura or if they were used in drag racing also, I don't think they would have because the Yosh 1000 all had Close Ratio Transmissions in them.

I will not be racing the 1979 model at Daytona, I will be on Wes Cooley's 1980 Championship winning superbike March 1st and 2nd.

But, If anyone comes across a 92 straight cut gear, I'll buy it!
              I will be looking into making one soon, gotta keep these old racers alive!

Once again, Thank You.
              Brian O'Shea

Comment

Brian,
                Do you know Henry Kellar from Florida?

Comment

Henry kellar from Fla

Paul,
                  I've never met Henry, but we both know each other, e-mails and what not.

Comment

I "met" Henry about 3 or 4 years ago when he was looking for a cam for a Honda 750-4 he was building. I had a cam which he bought off me along with a couple of other bits - part of the deal was that he sent me a "Radio Flyer" wagon for my kids, they are unavailable here in UK!
                    About 18 months ago he was telling me that his Friend had bought a GS1000 race replica, and he had bought the Kawasaki Z1R AMA Formula 1 stablemate.
                    I wondered if it was the same bike.
                    I have pics of it but can't (read don't know how to!) get them to load on here so I could show you.

Comment

Pic of Wes Cooleys 1980 AMA Superbike

This is the bike I own, I bought it from Craig Vetter, the fairing king of the 70's.
                      I bought this along with Reg Pridmore's 77-78 AMA Chamionship winning Kaw 1000 back in 1993 where they were sittin outside for a number of years.

My link to the AMA site didn't work, sorry.

If you punch in "wes cooleys gs1000" under a search engine it should direct you to the ama muesum, it will bring you to the small story and pic.

Comment

Interesting website. When I had my head ported years ago by a guru here in Oz, he said it was ok for 130 horses, but not on pump fuel. It was made to take 29mm smoothbores. I think it would need a few more mods to make it last at those sort of power levels.

Comment

Working...
                        X