Seals/Gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seals/Gaskets

After removing the exhaust header pipes from the head on my '78 GS 750E last night, I realized there were no exhaust gaskets. The pipes are flanged. Is it meant to be metal on metal contact wiith the head? I had alot of leakage around (2) of the pipes.

I am in the process of buying parts for a rebuild. I notice that Dennis Kirk carries a complete engine rebuild gasket kit. Does that include valve seals? The kit does not include cam cover end plugs. Where can I find these?

Any advice from someone who has recently rebuilt this motor and had to buy the seals/gaskets is much appreciated.

there is a gasket You may have to dig it out

Comment

There should be exhaust gaskets. If not, then they were left out when the last work was done.

I doubt that that the gasket kit includes valve seals. As a matter of fact, I don't think any seals are included. I also do not know of any seal kits for these bikes. When I rebuilt mine, I went to bikebandit.com and ordered them individually. I then purchased a lower end gasket kit (about $15) and the other gaskets were included with my new pistons.

I may be wrong about seal kits - I just could never find any.

Comment

Check with these guys

I don't know if the kits come with Cam Cover end plugs but they list the valve seals and the O rings as part of the kit.

They are far cheaper than Dennis Kirk or anyone else that I have found.

Comment

The last vesrah gasket set (for an 850) I bought from dennis kirk included valve guide seals.
          Cam cover plugs can be had from suzuki.
          Your exhaust gaskets are probably there, under the soot.

bill

Comment

Keep in mind that there are quite a few seals that are not of the o-ring variety. The ones on the crank, shift lever, clutch actuator, etc. If you are doing a complete rebuild I would replace them all. The oil pump uses an o-ring seal - but is that in the set?

I don't trust them to include all of the necessary seals. Try to get a definitive list.

Comment

Most (if not all) gasket sets come with the valve guide oil seals. At least the ones I've seen do!

Comment

I wasn't sure about the valve guide seals - I didn't purchase the complete gasket set - just the bottom end set. If you guys are sure the complete set has them, then I will agree that it does.

As for all a complete gasket set containing all the seals and gaskets, I sincerely doubt it. If you find one that has them all please post the p/n for my next rebuild. Again, the crank seals need to be replaced along with a few others that I can't imagine come in the kit.

I would try to get a definitive list from the manufacturer. Then, if it isn't complete, order the rest individually. If you don't, I can guarantee you will be waiting for seals during your assembly.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. I have got it apart now and plan on starting the mahine work this weekend. I plan on replacing all seals & gaskets. I have gotten it this far why not do the whole thing.

Still can't find those exhaust gaskets. I am thinking that they weren't put in when the previous owner worked on it. I am finding mass amount of silicone all over the place. So I am not doubting they were forgotten.

Again thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                  X