wiring problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wiring problem

I have a 1986 GS 550 that is in need of a little work, I have got the bike running, just not perfect, a problem I have now is with the wiring, at the front of the bike I have on the one side coming out of a single harness a orange wire and a black/white wire, on the other side of the bike I have another harness that contains two green/yellow wires, these apparently have no where to go, I have the two green/yellow wires wound together which will start the bike, but if left connected will blow the main fuse, so please can someone tell me where these wires go to (both sets) and if I am missing something.
    thank-you

I don't know of any green/yellow wire, but on my 1100's there is yellow/green wire leading from the start switch to the starter solenoid.

When live, it triggers the solenoid to start the bike.

On your bike, you said when it is connected, the bike starts, but a fuse blows if it is left connected after the bike is running.

The solenoid does not normally draw a lot of current, but it would seem logical that, if it were left connected, it could overheat and increase the amperage draw, and there would be a secondary draw from the starter, which would also be running while the connection was maintained, and this could overtax the system and blow a fuse.

The black/white wire, if the same as my bike, is a smaller size/gauge wire
    that is spliced off the orange/green wire inside the harness. The B/W wires run to the horns.

The solid orange wire should be the main hot wire leading from the fuse box to the ignition switch. As it is not connected, you must have something else doing its job.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

on my 750 the 2 green/yellowstripe went thru the clutch switch mine went bad and i took it out of commission thus connecting both wires together. there is no current flowing thru those wires until I hit the start button. if yours has current flowing thru them then I would do a thurough diagnostics of your wiring before you ride any farther. I wouldn't want you to become an firing inferno rolling down the road. had that happen to me on my yamaha 550 seca I bought from a wanabe mechanic out of highschool. for the bikes and more importantly YOUR safety trace your wires and make sure there are no added replacement wires that are run incorrectly. 8O

Comment

Check here you should be able to find a wiring diagram for your bike

Comment

Working...
        X