Electrex R/R?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrex R/R?

My stock charging system works as it should, but I want to upgrade to Electrex. If I just get their R/R will my stock stator have a longer life or is their no reason to get one without the other?
    Thanks,
    Billy

You can replace just the reg/rec if your original stator is OK, In some instances it can extend the life of your original stator. Maintaining the proper oil level will also help

Comment

Billy,
      I think you'll do well if you just keep an eye on the acid level of your battery during rides over a few hours. It's good to check the charging voltage on a regular basis too just to see what's going on. It's really hard to tell when something is going to burn out.

What does everybody else think? I know for a fact that stock RRs cause trouble on all brands of bikes. Kawasaki KLRs, BMW GSs, Yamaha dual sports, and everything else, when abused with anything other than stock lighting.

Steve

Comment

If everything works as advertised, don't change anything.
        Just make sure the wiring is in good shape, corroded connectors and the resulting overheating of the wiring cause most of the problems.
        I wired the 3 altenator outputs directly to the R/R, it's wired that way anyway, I just didn't go thru the harness, and soldered all the connections.
        Make sure the R/R is grounded properly.

bill

Comment

You can test the stator this way: Disconnect the three lead wires from the stator and measure the AC voltage between pairs of the wires while the bike is running at ~5,000rpm. The AC current should read 80v AC. If it doesn't then the stator's bad.

The next test for the r/r would be to hook the stator back up and measure the current between the starter solenoid '+' terminal and ground while the bike is running at ~5,000rpm again. If the system is charging the reading should be between 14.4v and 15v DC.

In general make sure all the connectors and terminals are clean. Especially make sure the ground contacts are good. Bad grounding will toast a r/r and may take the battery with it.

BTW, Rick's makes stators and reg/rectifiers also. I have a Rick's r/r and it works like a champ. http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/

Comment

Working...
          X