Caliper change for '77 GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caliper change for '77 GS750

I want to fit some different/better front calipers to my '77 GS750. I believe that later GS850 calipers (the ones with the square pads) will fit straight on, but what else will bolt straight on? And what could be used if I make up some mounting brackets? Although I'd love some Pretech or Harrison Billet calipers I would not live long enough to use them if "she who must be obeyed" found out how much they were!!!

(And a pair of Harrison ones are more than I paid for the bike!)

If you make your own adapters you are only limited by your imagination. I would sugest a complete front end change to a dual disc setup

Comment

It is dual disc already. Standard on 1977 750's.

Comment

And what could be used if I make up some mounting brackets?
        Just about any calipers can be fitted if you are willing to make up plates. About the only limit you have to worry about is the disc thickness not fitting in between the pads. This can be a problem, my old RD400 had amazingly thick rotors and they wouldn't fit in everything. I don't know about your GS rotors. Pretty much any late model sport bike brakes (say early 90's - up) will be a major improvement over the stock calipers.

My recommendation for massive brakes is to find a set of the 6 piston Nissin calipers used on 93+ GSXR1100, 94+ ZX-9, all ZRX1100, 96+ GSXR750, and more. They are very common, go for reasonable $$ and you can find the pads anywhere for OK prices. Try to get a complete system, with master cylinder and calipers. Set up with braided stainless lines and HH pads they will astound you with their power and feel.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by KW
          Just so you know, there were 3 different ways wheels came on 750's in 77. Wire Wheel, single disc, mag wheel single disc, and mag wheel dual disc. Not sure if wire wheels came with dual disc's or not.

Comment

Originally posted by lhanscom
            Originally posted by KW
            Just so you know, there were 3 different ways wheels came on 750's in 77. Wire Wheel, single disc, mag wheel single disc, and mag wheel dual disc. Not sure if wire wheels came with dual disc's or not.
            Yep, wire wheels with dual discs....... that's the one I have. It's a GS750DB like the one in the photo (courtesy of www.suzukicycles.org ) but not as nice

In fact, according to the suzukicycles website there wasn't a version with mag wheels and a single disc.

Comment

The only 750 that came with mag wheels and a single front disk was the 750T model (82 and 83 I think??) - it also had a drum rear brake. 8)

Comment

i tried installing 97 kat 600 calipers on my 78 750, it was a no go, calipers were to wide, would hit the mag wheel...the master cylinder worked great

Comment

whatever calipers you decide on try and get the rotors as well. then you will have a matched set

Comment

Originally posted by shaftzuki
                    The only 750 that came with mag wheels and a single front disk was the 750T model (82 and 83 I think??) - it also had a drum rear brake. 8)
                    I own a 77 GS 750 with a mag front single disc, and a disc rear. It all appears to be stock.

Comment

i tried installing 97 kat 600 calipers on my 78 750, it was a no go, calipers were to wide, would hit the mag wheel
                      If this is a problem, take a look at CBR600 F2 and F3 calipers. They are a two piston design, but both pistons are on the outside of the caliper and the caliper body slides on the mouting pins. Because there are no pistons on the inside, they are very narrow towards the wheel and can fit where most opposed piston calipers can't. It's either that, or use a spacer to move the rotor farther out from the wheel to gain some extra clearance.

Just one more reason to do a complete front end swap and put 17" wheels on. Then the big brakes will fit with no trouble at all.

Mark

Comment

Yeah but my 16"er looks cooooool 8) 8) :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                        X