Help! Two of my carbs are leaking oil!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Two of my carbs are leaking oil!

I searched around and haven't found anything on this issue yet so maybe someone can shed some light on the problem.
    Basically I have a '78 GS750 that runs great but two of the four carbs are leaking oil. They are leaking enough that it drips from the bottom and the air filter is also pretty saturated with oil. My guess is that somehow oil is getting from the cylinders back into the carbs (then the air filter) but I haven't really taken it apart yet. Is this a serious problem or a simple fix that I am overlooking? Help! 8O

Re: Help! Two of my carbs are leaking oil!

Your impression may be correct, but before I would assume it is, I would remove the cover plate over the starter. Sometimes, the seal on the starter will go bad and oil from the engine side case/stator area will be pushed into the starter cavity under the starter cover plate. If this happens, puddled oil will be drawn into the airbox intake and the undersides of your carbs/float bowls will be covered with oil and dripping too.

Earl

quote="jmast"]I searched around and haven't found anything on this issue yet so maybe someone can shed some light on the problem.
    Basically I have a '78 GS750 that runs great but two of the four carbs are leaking oil. They are leaking enough that it drips from the bottom and the air filter is also pretty saturated with oil. My guess is that somehow oil is getting from the cylinders back into the carbs (then the air filter) but I haven't really taken it apart yet. Is this a serious problem or a simple fix that I am overlooking? Help! 8O[/quote]
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks for the quick answer! I should check that out.. If I remember correctly the oil is on the engine side of the airfilter. Meaning that the oil appears to be coming from the cylinder.. It has been so cold up here in Vermont that I haven't had a chance to look at it but it has been on my mind for a while. Today is a bit warmer so I might check your recommendation and see if it is the seal over the starter.

Comment

clean your motor off. check the gaskets on the head, and speedo. if you dont see a leak when its been ran a bit, take a bit of baby powder and sprinkle it around the gaskets it will show any weeping leak. also do it for the chain tensoner on the back side of the motor thay leak every now and then.

i have a weeping leak around the speedo after a week it looks like the head is shot. oil and durt all over.

Comment

Also, the oil breather hose the connects to the valve cover is supposed to be fitted to a nipple on the airbox. If the end had been left loose and dropped over the back of the engine, your valve cover would be venting oil mist onto the carb bodies. :-)

Earl
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I'm betting on Earl having this one pegged right!

Comment

Working...
            X