Transmission question for a 1980 GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission question for a 1980 GS850

I have an 80 GS850 that has been popping out of gear. Sometimes, but not all the time when I really get on the throttle hard it pops to the next lowest gear. It seems to do it most from 3rd to 2nd and from 4th to 3rd. Any ideas?

Curt

Never had to take my trans appart yet
    Transmission jumps out of gear
    1 Worn shift gears on thedrive shaft or countershaft
    2 Distorted or worn gear shift forks
    3 Weak stopper spring on gearshift cam

How many miles does the engine have? Has the oil been changed? What kind of oil

Comment

The bike has almost 16K on it. It could use an oil change, and when I do change it I have been using 10/40.

Curt

Comment

Make sure that you don't get lazy when you shift Use a firm boot!

Comment

A GS850 transmission should last more than 116,000 miles, not just 16,000, without failing.

Chances are this machine has been abused in the past. That's the only conceivable explanation for a GS850 transmission that behaves the way you describe. I agree with what Lynn said are possible causes.

Solutions:

1. Give up on this bike and part it out.

2. Tear it apart and fix the transmission.

I would opt for the former. Get yourself another cheap GS850 and make one bike out of two. I've done this before, and quite successfully.

Nick

Comment

You could also ignore it. And as Lynn said, use a big pair of boots and make sure the bike knows you're shifting. This problem will be even worse if you are wearing running shoes.

Steve

Comment

A bent shifting fork will do this too. And if that's the case it wont matter how good you shift. Bad news on that is your tearing it down to fix it. Good news is it's worth it. Bad news is it will be expensive because your a GS nut so when you have it apart your going to rebuild the whole thing and end up restoring the bike. Good news is your bike will be mint again

he he, well, thats how I see it, sorry

Comment

mine did the same until I lowered the shift lever down to match the upward pull of my foot

Comment

Working...
                X