Maintenance-Free Battery for a '79 GS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maintenance-Free Battery for a '79 GS550

I tried several local shops, and none of their catalogs list a maintenance-free battery for my '79 GS550. Anybody out there aware of one?

I don't know specifically for your bike but have found that if you measure the case dimensions and know the capacity you need you can go to one of the battery places like batteries plus and they can find an equivalent. There are still batteries out there that will work in older bikes but the manufactures don't list all of the older bikes that their batteries would fit.

For the Sabre I had I found that I could get a sealed gel cell from Batteries Plus that matched my specs even though they didn't list in is their applications but did list my old battery in their cross reference.

Mike

Comment

i've used Energizer batteries in my 550's...they seem to work pretty well. I get mine at Farm and Fleet if one is around.

Comment

Originally posted by mdole
        know the capacity you need
        What' the capacity measured in? mAh? I don't think Clymers lists this, but Yuasa's site gave it as "11", but I'm not sure "11" what...

Comment

A 550 should use a 12 amp hour battery. The battery will be listed as 12AH capacity. Measure the length, width and height of the battery box in your bike. Be sure to account for how close the seat fits over the battery and take those measurements to your local battery house and ask for a 12AH battery that is within those dimensions.

Earl

Originally posted by jgalak
          Originally posted by mdole
          know the capacity you need
          What' the capacity measured in? mAh? I don't think Clymers lists this, but Yuasa's site gave it as "11", but I'm not sure "11" what...
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

also don't forget which side your wires are on

Comment

Working...
            X