How to increase oil pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to increase oil pressure

I am in the process of rebuilding my 1100 ESD. Is there another model or year that I can swap the gear for the oil pum that will give me increased oil pressure. I thought of getting the "top end oil kit" from http://www.aperaceparts.com , but I have the Lockhard lowers, and I don't have much clearance between the cylnder head and the lowers. I think they will touch.

Kind regards...Craig

The general consensus seems to be that the GS750 oil pump supplies the best pressure. This is mentioned in several threads about oil cooler additions and other upgrades.

Harrison

Comment

Oil pressure

Which year would be the best, or does it matter...with regares to the GS750 oil pump

Comment

Re: Oil pressure

The GS750's up to and including 1979 had roller bearing crankshafts and since roller bearings do not require high oil pressure, did not have high the higher volume pumps. 1980 onwards 750's were made with plain bearing bottom ends and consequently had the higher capacity pumps. All 1100's have roller bearing crankshafts, so a high capacity pump is not a necessity.
        If youre going to add a top end oiling kit, or oil cooler, it probably would be beneficial.

Earl

Originally posted by Craig
        Which year would be the best, or does it matter...with regares to the GS750 oil pump
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Oil pressure

I am not concerned about the crank getting enough oil. I am concerned about getting oil up top

Craig

Comment

Re: Oil pressure

It cant hurt. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Craig
            I am not concerned about the crank getting enough oil. I am concerned about getting oil up top

Craig
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

You don't have to change the oil pump, just the drive gears for the pump.

Top end oil kits were designed for engines that have oversized cylinder studs. The outside studs have a cavity that carries oil to the heads. Using an oversized stud reduces the area of the cavity, reducing flow to the heads. A top end oiler cannot hurt, but on a stock bike the benefits are debatable. They look cool as hell though!

Oil coolers are very beneficial, especially in warmer climates, or on engines that have have been modified.

Comment

Oil pressure

Thanks, but again...which year of 750 I am also using the case studs and head studs from APE. Are these the ones you are talking about??

Comment

yes the ape studs are fine. Let me recommend lower case studs also. Much better than bolts and very cheap. Ape will have the gear you need. I`m not convinced you need it but again it probably won`t hurt.

Comment

The part numbers for the gears you need are 16321-45000 & 16321-45002 I always forget what years they are from
                    Dink

Comment

Working...
                    X