Carburetor cleanup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carburetor cleanup

I'm making plans to disassemble and clean the carbs on my 1981 550L this spring. Is it worth buying four carb kits ($22 each) or should I just get bowl gaskets and o-rings and plan to reuse the jets etc after cleaning?
    Thanks.

It depends on the condition of the carbs, have they ever been rebuilt before?? If it is just for cleaning You can do it without the kits. If they are leaking or flooding not running right I would probably get the kits

Comment

I have yet to tear a bowl gasket; the bowls tend to come off cleanly if you rap on them with the handle of a medium-sized screwdriver (after removing the screws, of course). If you start early enough (at least with the bowl disassembly) you can avoid paying for gaskets you won't use. If you do tear one, try Cycle ReCycle, where you can buy individual gowl gaskets for a very reasonable price.

Keeping in mind that those early, nice spring days are made for riding, not fiddling...

Comment

/looks outside at the foot of snow on the ground...

Is it really early spring there?
        Must be nice. :? We'll be seeing snow for another month, at least.
        It actually snowed on July 4 out here a few years back. Not significant, but quite an oddity!

Comment

if the gaskets and orings are all original, it can't hurt to buy new kits. i bought two kits for some parts for my carbs, and they were pretty helpful. the bowl gaskets are reuseable, so if those and the other parts are okay, like the needle seat, you can get an o-ring kit from Robert Barr.

~Adam

Comment

Working...
          X