Taking apart a GS1000S dashboard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking apart a GS1000S dashboard.

I am restoring a GS1000S dashboard, the kind with the 5 dials in it, speedo, tach, fuel gage, oil temp sensor and the clock. Now the thing I'm wondering about has to do with the clock, the glass covering the three upper dials is cracked and I'm going to replace it.

[img]http://nl.msnusers.com/_Secure/0RQAJAIIUGsDxP7L1YVH8z7qNcsXxEL9*zXOBWu8qFaCDdztFb 02qODnLJu1YWYk0qboOrXAkpkqH3xw!s4qsLcL!UWkru74ujWc 9ynj1rDI/ME%20foto4.jpg?dc=4675459019592364035[/img]

This is a picture of the dashboard I had on my S, it had the little knob to adjust the time with missing, the one I have now still has it intact and it needs to come off to replace the glass and I don't see a screw or something similar that holds it together. :? Is it glued or something? I don't want to screw up a pretty rare dashboard. Thanks in advance for any usefull replies!

Have you bought another GS1000S?
    Does the clock work?!!
    I think the knob is glued on to the pin.

Comment

I don't know for sure, can only guess. What does the pin look like? Is it 4 sided or tapered or have a small ring around it that would allow a knob to "click" over the small ring? My only experience similar to this is taking the knobs off a car dash. They were pushed on to the pin. There was enough pin exposed at the bottom to grip with a small needle nose plier. I pulled the knob STRAIGHT out and the knobs came off OK. When done, I pushed them back on (no glue) and they were tight. I don't think glue is used.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Have you bought another GS1000S?

No unfortunately not, the Katana is still my only GS, what I did buy is a mint (except for the cracked glass, will be replaced soon) and complete 5 dial 1000S dashboard with 25k km on it. no scratches and every button is there. I wish I could show a picture of it but my pc doesn't want to upload my pics from the camera.

Does the clock work?!!

Yes the clock works, it's sitting on top of my computer now wired to a battery telling time as we speak. :mrgreen: cool desktop accesoirie...

I will check out the tips for the knob guys. Can I just put 12 V on the fuel gage and oil temp sensor to check if the're working

Comment

Clock dash knob

Robin on my 1000S dash clock knob is held in place by what looks like a flat head screw ( I have tried to take a clear pic but without success)
          I have had mine apart as the glass was broken.. that is an easy fix but I can,t recall how I got the clock knob off..
          I did take some pics but the clarity was crap
          Regards Simon

Comment

are there any gs bikes in the US with a dash like that?????
            I want one =P~ =P~

Comment

I am sure that dash was available on the 1000Sn models in the USA
              I am sure I have seen some offered on Ebay, but it would be better answered by a US resident.. Not sure where Robins dash has come from,
              I was of the opinion that if it was US or UK they generally had dual graduations (km/h/mph) on the speedo, where in Australia this is was not legal on a new bike due to ADR. If you changed it later you would generally not have problems though.
              I think most of the other GS series had dual grad speedo,s

Simon

Comment

I'm not worried about it being kph I love the layout =P~

Comment

Originally posted by Don Watson
                  I'm not worried about it being kph I love the layout =P~
                  And you can say things like "I did a steady 130 for a entire tank" .

My dash is probably Euro spec, Nick Puntino's bike wich there are pictures of on my website had the American style with miles but further the same style (1980 bike) My old 450 was an import and had both miles and km's. Btw when I'm finished with the dash it will be for sale.

Comment

Well lets start the bidding..
                    is the currency to be euro or USD

Comment

Originally posted by simon lambert
                      Well lets start the bidding..
                      is the currency to be euro or USD
                      Wow, steady there. First I'm gonna see if I get this this together again with some new glass and check if all the dials and stuff work.

Comment

Hej Robin, just winding you up as we say..
                        I will be interested but I think it will be above my price..
                        Regards Simon

Comment

One my dash the problem areas or annoying things are as follows
                          Speedo flickers at high speed
                          the reset button for the trip meter can take a couple of pushes

Comment

I just want that style on my 750 I like it =P~

Comment

Originally posted by robinjo

I will check out the tips for the knob guys. Can I just put 12 V on the fuel gage and oil temp sensor to check if the're working
                              Yes but be sure to do it at a point downstream of the voltage regulator for the oil temp and fuel gauges, which lowers the voltage to about 7 volts (I think).

The glass is attached to the plastic housing and would be easy to replace.

Comment

Working...
                              X