header wrap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

header wrap

anyone here wrap their headers ever? i'm looking to do this to make sure i dont melt my lower fairing again, AND because it'll cover the rusty, once black, headers....

they make the kits in a black now, so it'll match my bike fine. i'm just not sure what size wrap i should get. they sell it in 1" wide, or 2" wide, 50 feet lenghts.

they say two rolls of 2" wide, 50 feet is enough for two car header's.

~Adam

A friend wrapped his Haybuse pipes, more for looks than anything I suspect. You sound like you have a practical reason for it!
    I woujld suggest the 1" as you can wrap it around tighter curves (ie downpipes) and it will look neater.

Comment

yeah, i was thinking that as well. i'll just get two rolls of 50 feet 1" wide, and see how that works.

the kit was nice because it comes with the wire and cable ties that hold the wrap in place.

~Adam

Comment

One thing to consider AOD, esp. if your header is already rusting, is that the wrap tends to hold moisture once wet.....it will accelerate the rusting, if the bike is not ridden after a wash, or you happen to get caught in the rain.
        Have you looked into ceramic coating the header.....my bikes exhaust system is black ceramic coated....it looks great, and is very easy to maintain...also throws in a few horsepower if you believe the hype!
        '82 GS1100E

Comment

I have the wrap on one of my bikes..
          We used it on a field test on a heavy truck and I grabbed it after..
          It does have the problem of moisture rentention but if your after ride care is up to scratch it is OK..
          It is supposed to enhance performance but not letting the exhaust gas cool as quick.. I have found it better in performance and sound..
          I would consider using it on another system..
          I used narrow tube clamps to keep the wrap ends tight.. hasn,t moved in about 3 yrs and still looks good even after the field test.. I did wash it before I put it on my bike though

Simon

Comment

i looked into ceramic coating, but since this exhaust is not even for my year bike, i'm gonna just stuck it out for another year with it. i dont like it much anyway...i'll get something better when i can buy new.

as for the the moisture problem, i picked up a can of the sealer/paint stuff for the wrap. its supposed to keep water out better...we'll see how it does.

Comment

Working...
            X