Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

replaced handlebars... new cables or can i just reroute?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replaced handlebars... new cables or can i just reroute?

last weekend i replaced the stock bars on my '82 gs850g with the shorter, daytona style bars. now most of the cables and hoses are hanging out or bending at weird angles (especially the front brake hose). i know a lot of you have made this change, and i was wondering if you all bought new, shorter cables, or if you just rerouted them so it'd be less of an eyesore? and, on the rerouting path, i tried to see if there was something i can do about the brake hose, but it seems like just having it stick out and bend is the all i can do, as the part it attaches to is basically right there under the triple tree. any advice? thanks a million, again

Personally I'd opt for somewhat shorter cables. In either case just make sure you can turn lock to lock with out anything binding or in worst case, having the throttle open while turning at low speed. As far as the brake hose goes, someone else might have an easy solution, but with it bending too much it will probably soon kink and then... no brakes or it'll split and spew fluid all over and the least problem would probably be ruined paint.
    Anyone else have any solutions?

Comment

I switched from the buckhorn GL bars on my 850GL to Daytona bars. I just losened the brake line at the master cylinder and rotated it somewhat to make the routing smoother. The pulled the extra brakeline into the space behind the headlight. The clutch and throttle cables just have more of a loop in them. No problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Tate
        or in worst case, having the throttle open while turning at low speed.
        funny you should mention that... uhh, say it is doing that (throttle opening when turning to the extreme right) is this an easy fix (without replacing cables)?

Comment

You might be able to get enough slack in the cable with the adjuster at the hand grip but you'd probably just end up with waaay too much slack in other steering positions. I'm not sure since I can't see your set-up if you need a longer or shorter cable. Just be very careful with whatever solution you come up with. Sorry i couldn't be of more help.

Comment

Working...
          X