HELP. A FEW LIGHTS, BUT NOTHING ELSE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP. A FEW LIGHTS, BUT NOTHING ELSE

I just purchased a 1981 GS750. It sat in a garage for 2-3 years. I changed the battery and took the carbs off and cleaned them. drained the gas tank. Before I put back on the tank, I thought I'd see if the darn thing would even crank over. I turned the key to the on position and the nuetral light and the oil pressure light came on. That is it, no headlamo, no tail lamp. I pushed the start button, making sure the kill switch was in the run position, and absoutly nothing. I pushed the horn button, nothing. I tried the turn signals, nothing. Basically I have a battery running two little lights and nothing more. The battery is good. I can jump the selinoid and the engine cranks. I checked the grond from the battery to the engine and cleaned the connections and tightened everything back. I have not yet got a service manual and was hopin not to have to trace every wire. Any ideas??? I also have a 79 honda CB650. The headlamp and taillingt come on when the key is in the on position, should my suzuki do the same???

Thanks in advance for any help...

Not to make you feel stupid but did you check the clutch switch IT must be pulled in to complete the starter circuit

Comment

I did not check it. I tried to start the bike in neutral and did not think about the clutch, as my other bike will start in neutral. Also, are the lights, ie blinkers, head light, tail light, horn supposed to work when the key is in the on position, or does the bike have to be running. Also I checked the fuses, all are good. I cleaned the fuses and the fuse box.

Another question I came up with. there is some type of flat motor or something mounted under the tank. it is on the same side as the petcock and connects to two wires. there is a place that looks like a hose should connect to it. the guages have a gas guage. should this be connected to it somehow, or what could this thing be...

Comment

On the underside of the tank There is a metal cover over the fuel sending unit (one with 2 wires) The hose is just in case the sending unit leaks it diverts the fuel to the rear (swingarm) of the bike the hose is not connected to anything. The horn and signals should work with the ign ON

Comment

clean all your wire connectors on the bike especially behind the headlight assy.

Comment

Stupid question did you check all the fuses. I know i've made that easy mistake hundreds of times. Especially if you have a bike that has been sitting for awhile they tend to fry themselves with a new battery. Also have you checked all the wiring connections behind the headlight.

Never look a gifthorse in the mouth, do you know how bad their breath stinks. :?

Comment

I have checked all of the fuses. I checked them out of the bike and checked both sides of the fuse panel with the fuses in and the key turned on. I have power on both sides. I pulled the headlight tonight. There is one wire, yellow with green stripe that looks like it should be connected. I have the female end and the male end right next to each other in the sme wrap. I tried connecting them, but didn't fix the problem. I have pulled all the light bulbs and checked them. Everyone worked. I pulled apart the left and right controls and cleaned them. Still no luck. I also checked the headlight off the bike and it worked. With the key turned on I have power to the headlight wires, but when I plug the headlight in, It doesn't work. Sound like a bad ground or something. I pulled the ground from the engine that comes directly off the battery. I cleaned the area and the connections and tightened it back up. I havle not been able to locate any other grounds yet. I'll keep looking.

Comment

Any black wire with a white stripe is a ground. I'm not too sure where they all connect to the frame myself but there's a lot of them. There's probably one on your rubber mounted fuse panel box and another on the rubber mounted battery box.

Steve

Comment

A BIG thank you to all who helped. I electrical nightmare has come to an end, only hope that it is not a reoccurring nighmare .. The problem was with the ground. I had checked all the wires and had power everwhere, but they did not work. I knew that me engine ground was good, I had already cleaned it. The ground on my battery box was bad. The old owner did not use the battery overflow hose and battery acid had leaked all over the battery box. Once I found that ground I cleaned it and all was good. To be on the safe side I added another frame ground directly to the negative terminal of the battery. Better safe that sorry.. Again thak you all for your help.

Comment

Working...
                  X