GS1150 - correct running temp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1150 - correct running temp?

Just back from a trip to the British GP at the weekend and the first chance I've really had to do a long journey on the GSX1100EF (GS1150 in US money I believe) and notice a few things that don't show up in my normal day to day use.

The oil temperature guage held a steady 90 degrees C or so and crawled up slowly if we were in heavy slow-moving traffic. The highest temp I saw was just over the 100 mark. I never had a bike with a temp guage before so I was wondering if this was "normal" operating temp? The guage is calibrated from 70 to 160C so I presume 90-100 is okay but I'm curious. If I was to find myself stuck in very heavy city traffic on a hot day, how high should I let that oil temp go before I need to pull over and let it cool down?

Re: GS1150 - correct running temp?

Originally posted by Rich1135
    Just back from a trip to the British GP at the weekend and the first chance I've really had to do a long journey on the GSX1100EF (GS1150 in US money I believe) and notice a few things that don't show up in my normal day to day use.

The oil temperature guage held a steady 90 degrees C or so and crawled up slowly if we were in heavy slow-moving traffic. The highest temp I saw was just over the 100 mark. I never had a bike with a temp guage before so I was wondering if this was "normal" operating temp? The guage is calibrated from 70 to 160C so I presume 90-100 is okay but I'm curious. If I was to find myself stuck in very heavy city traffic on a hot day, how high should I let that oil temp go before I need to pull over and let it cool down?
    90 degrees Celius is equal to 194 degrees F if i used the conversion correctly. On short easy runs, my gs1100((converted to 1166cc)) runs about the same temp but usually creeps up to about 220 degrees F (104 degrees C )even on the hottest days here in florida and never gets higher. It is desireable to have the engine run at the boiling temperature of water for your altitude in order to have the moisture boiled out of your oil. when it is raining and the engine gets wet, it always runs way too low and in the winter (florida= 60 deg F--or 16 deg C ) it will still come up to the full warmed up temperature but takes about 45 minutes. Well thats my bike --I installed an oil cooler with a shut off valve in it to allow me to compensate for colder weather but i removed the valve because it was just restrictive enough to allow a bit too much cooling and the temperature would never reach 210 F--99deg. C) thats all i can tell you about how my temperature guage acts((if its accurate???))

Comment

Yeah, don't sweat it. Mineral oil starts to break down at 310 degrees F. As long as you're not at around 290F i'd call it a winner. (I'd add 30 degrees F for inner-bearing temperature and gauge differential.)

Tim

Comment

My bike temperature runs exactly as Slowpoke described: about 40 minutes to warm up in normal Irish weather (cold) and a bit quicker in summer (slightly less cold). Last weekend was very warm, 25C or more, so it's good to know the bike was still staying within a normal temp range. I noticed the temp dropping the one time we ran into a heavy rain shower too. 8)

Thanks for the quick replies.

Comment

i have no idea what is good or bad??? I do not have a gauge so it is one more thing I do not think about

Comment

I would say you are right inthe norm. Thats about how mine runs.

Comment

Temp gauge

Most of the miles that I put on my 1150 where in so. california, where in the summer it would be well over 100 degrees and my temp gauge would read 220 most of the time. I think you'll be ok.

Comment

Working...
              X