black carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

black carbs

I want to paint my '82 GS1100E carbs black like and '83. Can I powder coat them or should I just paint them. I can have all passages, levers, and springs taped off and plugged, but will the metal stand up to the baking process?

RR

what about the o rings and diaphram
    use a rattle can

Comment

They will of course be disassembled then put back together without the parts that may get damaged . I am rebuilding them anyway. So will the integrity of the metal suffer from the heat?
      Thanks,
      RR

Comment

Originally posted by roadrunner
        They will of course be disassembled then put back together without the parts that may get damaged . I am rebuilding them anyway. So will the integrity of the metal suffer from the heat?
        Thanks,
        RR
        I know nothing in that area. Sorry. im a rattle can engineer any how

Comment

The metal will be OK, but I'd be worried about the bodies getting damaged by a careless powder coat operator. And there are a lot of small threads that might get clogged.

Comment

My understanding of powdercoating is that there is not a heating process but one that requires that the surface to be painted is magnatized one polarity and the powder is another which allows the paint to be initially attracted to the metal.

I am NOT an expert on this so I may be way off course...

Hap

Comment

Powder coat carbs

Hap was almost there. After the powder is "attracted" to the oppositly charged piece that you want "painted", the piece is then baked at 350 to 400 degrees. Most "O" rings don't like that kind of heat. As far as the carbs holding up to the process, they most likely will get glass bead blasted before the whole process. One needs to use duct tape(at least two layers) to cover all things that you don't want "Painted". Powder coating the carbs is probably not a smart thing to do. You are better off dissassebling the carbs and cleaning them off and getting them painted. Your local auto-paint shop should be able to help you out. If you have a auto pro shop around, most of those guys paint just about everything under the hood.

Comment

Carbs

One quick note...the duct tape is only used to prevent what is under it from getting damaged during the glass bead blasting. Heat resistant tape is used to cover what you dont want to get "painted"

Craig

Comment

Thanks Craig, that makes a ton of sense.

Hap

Comment

Working...
                  X