Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pingle installed 79GS100L Gas leaking...help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pingle installed 79GS100L Gas leaking...help!

Ok installed the pingle, fuel flowing fine....on the right side of the bike the outside carb fuel bowl is leaking...just replace the gasket? Or do I need the whole rebuild kit?
    Also on the two inside carbs gas is flowing onto the garage floor...coming throught what I assume are overflow hoses....this a gasket issue or somethinng else...any and all help appreciated. Just a chick who does not know much about bikes trying to get this bike a running!!!
    Thanks.
    Oh yeah do I have to do anything with the ole Vacumm tube????

Semper Fi!!

Ok....bike will start...fuel still comes out of the overflow. If at any time I turn the choke off it will stall. So, I know I need to replace the gaskets...why does the gas come out of the overflow? It is not constant. Once the bike is running it seems to stop.
    Next problem...I got no brakes. I will get into that tomorrow I guess...Will replacing the fluids be enough?

Thanks Again

Comment

sounds like your floats are either stuck or out of adjustment and not letting the fuel shut off the flow. your bowl gasketsare probably dry and shrunk they might be able to swell out if you carefully take them off the carbs and soak them in gas overnight then place back on carbs and tighten to spec/ check for leaks.

as for your brakes if you have the anti dive units on the front of the forks then those units may be blown. also if they are in good shape then there is a different method for bleeding your brakes than standard which your manual should describe. my machine had the anti dive units that blew out in shipment from GERMANY and I was unable to find rebuild kits for them so I disconnected them from the brakes by switching the hose bolt locations and looping the short hose back on itself also ive added about a 1.5 inch spacer at the top of the spring to help maintain riding height. the spacer reduces some of the softer ride which the antidive used to compensate for but it still holds the corners well and I haven't felt any major dive while braking hard. in fact I have beter brakes now then when the bike was new.

Comment

I've had floats stick after the carbs had dried out or been put together after a rebuild. Try tapping the carbs with a rubber mallet - it's worked every time for me.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Comment

Re: Pingle installed 79GS100L Gas leaking...help!

Originally posted by Marine
          Ok installed the pingle, fuel flowing fine....on the right side of the bike the outside carb fuel bowl is leaking...just replace the gasket? Or do I need the whole rebuild kit?
          Also on the two inside carbs gas is flowing onto the garage floor...coming throught what I assume are overflow hoses....this a gasket issue or somethinng else...any and all help appreciated. Just a chick who does not know much about bikes trying to get this bike a running!!!
          Thanks.
          Oh yeah do I have to do anything with the ole Vacumm tube????

Semper Fi!!
          Sounds like you have leaking float needle valves. Try taking each valve and its seat out and cleaning them and make sure there's no rust/dirt in the fuel passages feeding the valves. Blowing the main passage out where the fuel line connects with compressed air is best. Keep each valve with its own seat, don't mix them up. I would replace the bowl gaskets. You need to cap the carb vacuum nipple where the old vacuum line used to go.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Mr. Jiggles,

Your tip worked.....and I was ready to pull the carbs apart again....Thank You SOOOO much!!!

Rode the bike for the first time today...what a blast!!!

Comment

I am not familiar with a Pingle petcock but if it doesn't have a diaphragm to stop gas flow when the engine is off (would have a vacuum line going back to the #2 carb) then you better have an off position on it or gasoline will fill up your crankcase when the bike sits for any length of time when off. This will dilute the oil in the crankcase and cause serious damage. don't rely on your floats to keep gas from running into the engine when off!

Comment

The Pingle does have an off...just have to remember to turn it off everytime you are done riding.

Comment

No diaphram. It is mechanical like a faucet. It has an off, reserve and on position.

Earl

[quote="Michael Falke"]I am not familiar with a Pingle petcock but if it doesn't have a diaphragm to stop gas flow when the engine is off ..............
                  Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

As I posted in another thread, the 79 GS L model factory petcock has no prime position on it. Positions are front RES down ON .

Comment

Working...
                    X