Blowing Bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blowing Bulbs

I am having a problem ..recently purchased a 1978 Gs550 with 20,000 miles seems that now it continues to blow all light bulbs and boils all liquids out of the battery any ideas what could be wrong? how to go about fixing it...Thanks Tim

Short in the electrical system for sure!

Comment

Don't think it is short? Check the output voltage of the regulator, measure voltage at the battery at 4K RPM . If reg is not working voltage can go up to 16-17 volts very short bulb life and over charging of the battery causing loss of water in battery. Check/Repair all of the connections relating to the reg, battery and stator. It is also good idea to add ground wire from the mounting bolt of the reg direct to the battery. Then recheck voltage level. If it still over charging you will probably need a new reg/rectifer Refer to the stator pages in the Grage Forum. You also will probably need to replace the battery. it has been cooked.

Comment

Thanks to both of you will check it out

Comment

DANGER!!! Mine was doing the same just before the Regulator/Rectifier died. Connect a ground wire and hot wire directly to the battery so you never worry about shorts or bad grounds in the wire harness.

Comment

DANGER!!! Mine was doing the same just before the Regulator/Rectifier died. Connect a ground wire and hot wire directly to the battery so you never worry about shorts or bad grounds in the wire harness.

Comment

Working...
            X