How fast are GS650L's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How fast are GS650L's?

0-60 time? Top speed? Comfortable cruising speed?

bump

Comment

My '81 650 GL cruises comfortably at 60-65 mph. I've had it up to around 100 mph but things vibrate pretty good.

I've never tried to clock a 0-60 time.

Comment

To most long-time owners of GS650GL's, these questions are irrelevant. This bike is fast enough. That's all one needs to know.

Nick

Comment

I just wanted to make sure I'm not getting in over my head, thats all.

Comment

I'm an average 160 lbs and my 750 will go zero to 60 easily in 5 or 6 seconds. I expect a 650 would be only slightly slower.

Earl

Originally posted by Jas
            I just wanted to make sure I'm not getting in over my head, thats all.
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

The 650 is not a monster bike, if you are worried about it being too much. It has very good, usable performance. It is not too much, and when you are good enough, will not be too little!

Comment

Take the MSF course and be cool. Don't be in a hurry...you can find youself in over your head on an old Honda 50 if you're going to fast to make the turn or stop before impact!

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor
                  Take the MSF course and be cool. Don't be in a hurry...you can find youself in over your head on an old Honda 50 if you're going to fast to make the turn or stop before impact!

exactly

Comment

I do have a period road test on a 650G if you're curious about it. I don't think it mentioned top speed or hp, but I thought I saw a hp listing of 65 on a German GS site. And yes top speed, whatever it is, is 'fast enough' especially for an unfaired bike.

Good luck with it, I agree it's a forgiving ride to start on that you won't outgrow too soon.

Comment

82 GS650GL here.

It has plenty of power when you need it, to get out of tight situations. It is a 2 valve bike, and a tad heavy, so it ain't gonna get away from you, if that's your worry.

All around a pretty nice balance of useable bike.

Vibrates something awful past about 90MPH, and vibrates anytime over 50MPH. Bar weights are a must if you ride any distance.

Comment

So I was at www.suzukicycles.org an I noticed this-

--------------------------------------
                        The GS650GL is rated at 73 hp @ 9.400 rpm and and the bike weighs 466 pounds

The GS750GL (only available one year in USA?) is rated at 68 hp @ 8.500 rpm and the bike weighs 530 pounds

The GS750 (chain drive) is rated at 72 hp @ 8.500 rpm and the bike weighs 492 pounds

The GS850GL is rated at 77.6 hp @ 9.000 rpm and the bike weighs 557 pounds

---------------------------------------

The 8 valve 650 engine actually has a little more horsepower than the 750 which was introduced a few years earlier, although the 750 does make a little more torque, but on the other hand the shaft model 750 bike is 65 pounds heavier than the shaft model 650 bike.

The 850G makes 77.6 hosepower, which is only about 3.6 more than the 650G, but the 850G is a whopping 100 pounds heavier than the 650G.

Could this mean that there's a possibility that the 650G has more get up and go than the 750 and 850???

Just noticed this and found it interesting.

Comment

the 750 shafty (750g) was only sold in Japan, I have heard of one in Great Brittan but it was brought in grey/black market.
                          Suzuki only sold them in the home market.

Comment

At first I was like it's too slow, but after some cleaning, rejetting, replacing exhaust manifold gaskets, it is very nice for backroads and local travel. In my opinion it feels a little small on the freeway, and don't like to cruise it past 75mph just no fun. But I've grown to really like it for the short trips. The real world weight is like 500lbs with fluids. Now I just need a 1000+ for the highways

Comment

[Could this mean that there's a possibility that the 650G has more get up and go than the 750 and 850???

I have an 81 GS850GL, my wife has an 81 GS650GL. I can verify that the 650 has more get up and go. Couple in the fact that I weigh twice what she does, she can blow my doors off (if I HAD doors, that is)

Comment

Working...
                              X