Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brake Pads.Is there any real difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Pads.Is there any real difference?

I have a 83' GS1100ED. I'm getting some work done to get ready for the season. The bike won't even start at the moment. Some kind of short.I keep charging the battery but it soon dies down.It gave me trouble intermitently last year but I was having too much fun riding to take it off the road.I'm towing it to my friends house to get the choke cable replaced,the short repaired,the valves adjusted,and the brake pads replaced.I wan't a good set of pads.Is one brand really that much better than another?If so.Could you fill me in on what brands you feel are best?The tires are also becoming worn.I would like to get the largest size possable for the rear.I would also like to get a white lettered tire if it is available.I am just becoming familiar with my GS and am gratefull for any information. I think this web site is like gold to new GS riders. Thanks,Brian.

Is one brand really that much better than another?

No. Shop price. Be cheap.

Nick

Comment

Re: Brake Pads.Is there any real difference?

I will not use any brake pad other than Vesrah, but some people are not particular. As for a rear tire, dont go more than two sizes up on the same rim. If you do, do to changes in cross section, you will likely end up with a smaller contact patch than stock and traction and performance will decrease instead of being enhanced. There is also the danger of spinning a tire off a rim if the seating area and bead alignment isnt correct.

Earl

Originally posted by casey2
      I have a 83' GS1100ED. I'm getting some work done to get ready for the season. The bike won't even start at the moment. Some kind of short.I keep charging the battery but it soon dies down.It gave me trouble intermitently last year but I was having too much fun riding to take it off the road.I'm towing it to my friends house to get the choke cable replaced,the short repaired,the valves adjusted,and the brake pads replaced.I wan't a good set of pads.Is one brand really that much better than another?If so.Could you fill me in on what brands you feel are best?The tires are also becoming worn.I would like to get the largest size possable for the rear.I would also like to get a white lettered tire if it is available.I am just becoming familiar with my GS and am gratefull for any information. I think this web site is like gold to new GS riders. Thanks,Brian.
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Is one brand really that much better than another?
        Not to me. Some racers will stay with a particular brand because they like the feel of those particular ones. Different brands DO feel different, but it's not usually a big problem for street riding. If you are running with Mladin and company, the feel starts to matter.

Of more importance is the compound. Currently, the HH pads are generally considered the best, but they are a sintered compound and can be fairly aggressive to the rotors (ie. the rotors wear faster). Some of the organic compounds are pretty good, but require careful bedding in to avoid glazing. If you stay with a well known brand and pick a compound recommended for your type of riding, and follow the manufacturer's instructions for bedding you shouldn't have a problem.

I use the HH pads in my ZX-9 and will not switch again. I think they are superb.

Mark

Comment

I use Vesrah for extra braking and EBC if I want to lose some braking, i.e. I use Vesrah in my front brakes and EBC in the rear.
          Dink

Comment

Brake pads can vary noticeably, but depends how you ride. I found changing to dogleg levers and GSX disks on my GS made more difference than pad changes. I run EBC kevlar/metal pads, they do not fade on the track, but my hand gives up after a while under the pressure! If I had better brakes, like Dink's newer bikes, I would probbaly notice the difference. Wet performance can also vary a lot, if you ride in the rain that is!.

Comment

Hey, this could be as good as the oil thread! I use SBS ceramic pads on both my bikes. I think they have better grip in the rain. My old 550 has non-vented discs and the SBS work better than the Vesrah pads.

Comment

I use size 10 Nike Air trainers....boy, do I ever need to get those brakes fixed!!!

Hap

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
                  I use Vesrah for extra braking and EBC if I want to lose some braking, i.e. I use Vesrah in my front brakes and EBC in the rear.
                  Dink
                  Dink your scaring me We think too much alike...lol
                  That is exactally what I do. In my case because my old girl only has one front disk so I need every little edge I can get up there. The back is fine with the EBC's and they last longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call
                    I use size 10 Nike Air trainers....boy, do I ever need to get those brakes fixed!!!

Hap
                    Hap, you could modify your center stand to rub against the rear tire like the old paddle break on a mini-bike. They would help save your sneakers a little.

:P

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                      Originally posted by Hap Call

Hap
                      Hap, you could modify your center stand to rub against the rear tire like the old paddle break on a mini-bike. They would help save your sneakers a little.

:P
                      I had one of those , wore it down so sharp like an axe. Went backwords and hit the breaks and popped the tire!

Comment

casey: If you're happy with the bike currently get what's already on it. If you push your bike to the limits of stopping you may find that you overrun or underrun your normal stopping point by a few feet with different pads...especially before the pads bed in. If you don't ride a whole lot you'll do fine with "sticky" pads but they don't last nearly as long as hard pads. Some pads need to be hot to work as well so it is worth going down to the local dealer to chat about different brands.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                        X