Maintenance free battery update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maintenance free battery update

A little while back, I posted the question on the availability of a maintenance free battery for my '83 850. In case anyone else might be interested in this conversion, I found a website called Motorcycle Bateries USA. They had one for my bike, a "power source" brand, made by Hawker (the same company that makes the Odyssey line) for $58, and they include free shipping on all their batteries. They had it to my door in 4 days. Very well made, and no more "water checking" for me. This battery also fits a lot of gs 750's, 1000's, and 1100's. If you're a stickler for oem, they also have the Yuasa brand for about 15 bucks more.

Have you got the web address?
    Did I read that right, the maintenace free is cheaper than the Yuasa?

Comment

No. The Yuasa I mentioned is also maintenance free. Maintenance free is the only kind of batteries that they carry. The website is http://motorcyclebatteriesusa.com

Comment

Great lead. Passed that along to the Concours website, too.

Comment

As I mentioned on another thread, I am looking for a maintenance-free battery for my '79 GS550. The battery according to YUASA is the YB10L-A2, which is 12V, 11 AH, 5.3125" x 3.5625" x 5.75" in size, and weighs 7lbs. YUASA doesn't list the cold crankcing power.

The abovementioned site has a battery that seems to fit - the 2nd batery on this page: http://www.motorcyclebatteriesusa.co....asp?battery=5
          which is 12V, 14 AH, 6?L x 3 7/16?W x 5?H, 200 cold cranking amps, but 11 Lbs.

Does the extra weight matter? Can I use this battery?

Comment

From the dimensions you list, and the difference in the weight of the batteries, it's highly unlikely that battery would fit in your battery box. Your best bet would be to send them an e-mail and ask 'em if they have anything suitable for your bike. They have a contact icon, which leads to a form to ask them technical questions. None of the batteries on that page are listed as being for a 550. But that doesn't mean none of them might not work.

Comment

Has anyone came up with the model for a dry cell replacement for the YB12B-B2 ??

Comment

The battery in my VX800 is a large oddly shaped weirdo. (So am I, but never mind that.)

When my expensive 6 month, 9 day old Yuasa AGM battery (with a 6 month warranty) crapped out in the middle of Nowheresville, Indiana , I visited the local Wal-Mart and scored a replacement with the same dimensions, only it's somewhat shorter. It's also an AGM battery, since I hate farting around with vent lines.

The AH rating was 14 instead of 16, and the CCA very slightly less, but it's been working great since July, and cranks the bike just fine even when it's cold.

In other words, the lesson is that a slightly smaller battery in good shape is far better than a dead or nearly dead battery the right size. If you can't find the "correct" battery, there's often a more easily available substitute that's slightly smaller that will work just dandy.

Measure the old battery and pay attention to which side the connectors are on before ordering. Or drag it into Wally World with you and spend 10 minutes comparing. If you're willing to re-route the battery leads to switch sides, sometimes you can open up a few more possibilities.
                Last edited by bwringer; 10-14-2008, 06:55 PM.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Brian, could you determine why it crapped out so early? I had a yuasa agm in my dual sport last over 5 years. I replaced it last year and it seems to be fine. I don't do anything special other than charge it up over winter or after long periods of inactivity. I did oversize this battery, more cca and higher capacity than stock.
                  I have been contemplating an agm for my 650g since I am on year two on my walmart special. It is just hard to justify when comparing $25 for two years vs $60 for how many years.

Comment

This is going to be more like comparing apples and coconuts (apples and oranges are too similar), but I would like to give an idea how long a well-cared-for AGM battery might last.

The previous owner of my Wing could not remember if he had replaced the battery three or four years before I bought the bike. Next week will be three years that I have had it, so the battery has gone either six or seven years, so far. I have recently started having problems starting it in the morning. The voltmeter drops to about 10 while cranking, which does not leave enough for the coils on the Wing. If I don't have the choke set just right so the bike catches on the first try, it might be a while before I get it started. Not a good situation right now, as I am still over 675 miles from home, and it's my only transportation.

I say it's a well-cared-for battery because my bike has an aftermarket 90-amp alternator on it that delivers 14 volts, even while idling at 700 rpm, with the dual 55-watt headlights and the 55-watt driving lights on. Being basically an automotive alternator (it's a modified Saturn unit), it is also well regulated at just above the 14 volt mark on the meter. This should promote close to the longest life possible, but I think it's finally time to replace it. Hopefully it gets me home on Thursday.

I'd say that with six or seven years and over 100,000 miles on it, it's lived a decent life.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by waterman View Post
                      Brian, could you determine why it crapped out so early? I had a yuasa agm in my dual sport last over 5 years. I replaced it last year and it seems to be fine. I don't do anything special other than charge it up over winter or after long periods of inactivity. I did oversize this battery, more cca and higher capacity than stock.
                      I have been contemplating an agm for my 650g since I am on year two on my walmart special. It is just hard to justify when comparing $25 for two years vs $60 for how many years.
                      No idea. The regulator/rectifier on the VX died a month later, but at the time the battery died and shortly after the replacement, it was working perfectly.

I suspect the battery had some defect, and an internal connection finally let go. The VX800 is a v-twin, so the vibration it creates is a little more "thumpy" than the usual four-cylinder buzz, but it vibrates far less than many bikes. Besides, the battery size of the Yuasa AGM I was using is intended for a Harley, so you can't tell me it's not tolerant of vibration.

In the end, I think I just had a bit of bad luck with a rare defective battery that happened to last just past the manufacturer's warranty period. Poor me...

I have a Yuasa AGM in my GS850, and it's working perfectly. I still think they're good batteries.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Many years ago I had a 78GS1000E- Skunk. If it sat of a few days I always had trouble getting her started. Strange thing it would crank fine?
                        Bought a replacement was a 12A DieHard rather than a 14A at local Sears Surpless for $20 No more problems

Comment

Working...
                        X