No announcement yet.

Hard to start 82 GS1100GK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That makes sense & would likely explain big difference the small amount of warm air makes since the fuel evaporates/atomizes quicker in warmer temperatures. I'll still check to see if I have a really wet plug but it seems less likely as the bike idles beautifuly and will almost pull the front wheel off the ground in 2nd and 3rd under hard acceleration. Thanks for all the advice. The greatest asset this site has is the collective experience of all. I'll get back to you and let you know the outcome. Merry Christmas!

Comment

I'm pretty sure a GK can pull the wheel off the ground in 2nd. For a long time I thought it was almost and then it surprised me one day on an I-81 onramp. Whew was that a rough ride.

Comment

Yippee!

Saw a thread three down from mine with a link (See bwringer repair series) that talked about the o-rings. Got em ordered and really think this may fix my problem. Hope so, cause the wife is getting tired of my "surely this will fix it" claims. Again, will report as soon as I know. As for wheelies, the last one I rode ended very badly and I have absolutely no desire to do another.

Comment

Re: Yippee!

Originally posted by Giblet
          As for wheelies, the last one I rode ended very badly and I have absolutely no desire to do another.
          That is good...because a 'GK is a terrible thing to waste!!

Comment

Update

Thought I'd give a quick update. I installed the o-rings this afternoon. Tomorrow will start out at 56F so the real test will come once temps fall back down to the 40's. Just one tip for you, make sure the vacuum line for the petcock is on the correct nipple. If you are easily distracted you may attach it to the overflow nipple instead 8O. Talk about hard to start . After I corrected this brain interrupt it started right up . Definitely need the o-rings.

Comment

Started below 35F

After spending yesterday on a parking lot all by itself I think it learned a lesson :? . Was meeting a group of friends across the highway from the house and it refused to start after sitting for 2 hours in 25F. Had to jump it to get it home last night. Installed plugs one heat range higher (B8ES to B7ES). The 4 plugs I pulled were all carbon fouled after only a week of use. The battery (cheapest Walmart had) seems to have gotten weak on me also. I bought a new Yuasa today. After spending the night on the trickle charger and with the choke fully closed all night it started almost immeadiately and kept running at 32F. Hopefully going to see focusfrenzy this coming weekend for a "GS" tutorial. Hopefully I'm near the end of this trail. THANK YOU ALL for your generous help .

Comment

Final update

Got the bleed air screws adjusted last Saturday, courtesy of focus frenzy and also adjusted the choke cable. This probably was the biggest culprit as I was likely not getting full choke before. It cold started every time since adjusting the choke cable so here is one more thing to add to the troubleshooting book.

Comment

Working...
                X