My clutch wount engage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My clutch wount engage

Been a while since my last active period on this forum, nice to be here again.

Anyway I have a 1981 Suzuki GSX400E 8V, which I have some clutch problems with.

The problem is that the "part" with those huge "threads" that move in&out of the engine with a rotating movement, seems to get stuck when the clutch is pulled in. I put alot of grease in it last year, but could it be that it just needs some greasing?. If I pull the clutch it sometimes gets stuck, then I have to take off the little cover on the engine cover and just push that "moving part" in so the clutch engages..

I bet the slides that the "part" goes in&out in is worn or something, but I hope it will work only by greasing it up?.

Hi There,
    The clutch system is quite simple. If it isn't the part behind the cover you mentioned I think it could be the small shaft behind the sprocket cover. It may need some greasing too or either part may have a grain of sand jamming it up. I just had mine out yesterday and it was covered in grime.

It's good to see you're still riding, we haven't heard from you in quite a while.

Steve

Comment

Ok ! Nice to hear that you remember me

I hope it`s like you say that there might be some grain of sand that is jamming it up, I bet it is because the problem didn`t occure the way I think it would have done if it had been because of worn areas in that slide.

Here is a pic of my bike

I think it`s a nice bike, but I think I am going to restore it because there has grown pretty much rust here and there, especially on chromed parts and such. I did use a full can of WD40 on the bike before I put it in for winter storing, so atleast I do my best to prevent it

Comment

Hi, Nice looking bike. Try spraying some good pentetrating spray like liquid wrench with teflon into the slide as you work it. It did wonders for the sticking clutch on my 550. After you've sprayed that into it several times, just finish up with some light oil of some kind. Seems like grease can get hard, dried out and sticky over a period of time. You might want to take your cable out of the perch where the lever is and attach a presurized cable oiler to it, and insert the red tube from the Liquid Wrench into the hole and oil the cable all the way thru.

For the surface rust on your chrome, go to Advance Auto Parts and get you a can of "Never Dull". It just looks like some old saturated insulation but, it will work wonders on gettting the rust off your chrome. I had 6 years of barn rust on my 550 which most all of it came off back to a pretty good lustre. Ride on my friend!!

Comment

Working...
        X