clutch slipping, how to adjust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch slipping, how to adjust?

Tranny slips out of gear when i get on it and before i think of springing for new plates, how do i properly adjust the clutch cable at both ends. Bike is an 82 gs750t. Thanx.

From your discription, it sounds more like a transmission problem than a clutch proplem. If it is slipping out of gear, the "dogs" are worn. If it is just slipping, but staying in gear, the clutch is worn ( or out of adjustment) . There should be just a little free play when the clutch is pulled before it actually does anything.

G

Comment

my bad, i did word it kinda bad, lets say in second gear i get on it, around 6k rpm the engine speed spikes and then i let of the throttle, it comes back down to a little over 6k and i continue to accelerate. Sorry for the miswording. Anyway if its properly adjusted i should be able to pull the lever ini little ways without it moving that little metal arm?

Comment

Yeah, if you push the lever back and forth the cable end above the clutch should move back and forth too. You don't want any tension on the cable when the lever is let go of. A couple of milimeters at the lever to mirror perch is about right.

Steve

Comment

If adjustment won't do it, replace the clutch springs with some Barnett units. A tighter pull, but NO slippage! 8)
          Kevin
          E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
          "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
          Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Working...
          X