Auto-kill turn signal doesn't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto-kill turn signal doesn't work

I have an '81 1100EX. As I understand it, the turn signal is supposed to turn off after 10 seconds of > 10mph driving. Mine never turns off. Can anyone tell me what I need to replace/fix to get this working?

Mark

Mark, I think what is needed most is a strong and fair ruler who commands
    by keeping everything firmly under his thumb!

I replaced the entire electrical system, including the multi-switch, but use of the thumb is still the only way to go on my bike too. (Well, the new flasher does his thing, even though I refused to buy him raincoats.) :P
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

acually the trigger speed is 20mph, below 20mph the turn signal will stay on. (at least that is how it works on mine)
      at around 40 mph my turnsignals will flash 13 times before they self cancel
      it is canceled by distance traveled over a set speed.
      if the spedometer is not working the signals wont cancel.

do you have a service manual?
      if not then send me your e-mail address and I will send you the procedures for testing the system. (not enough room here)

Comment

I had thought my signals were not cancelling properly on my '81 1100. When I figured out how they are supposed to work, they tested out fine. Try this: Turn on your signal and slow to a full stop, then accelerate away as you might after making a turn. After what seems like a long time at normal street speeds, the signal should self cancel. As I recall, the first times I tried unsuccessfully to make them self-cancel I was just going down the road at cruising speed. It was only after I slowed considerably, then cruised away that they would cancel. If you never slow, or if you don't then go fast enough, they may not work. But, the advice offered above is timeless: Cancel them manually. The self-cancel feature, if it works reliably, is simply to save you from yourself if you forget (as we all do). Hey, I slow at all signalized railway crossings, too. I'm not putting my faith in anything that has a fuse!

Comment

Working...
        X