is it my carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it my carbs?

i've got a couple of questions i was hoping the good gs folk could help me with. so, i removed the airbox and carbs this weekend to work on some intake issues i've been having. realized that the intake leak is from a broken intake pipe, so i put the carbs and the airbox back on. now my bike seems to have lost a ton of midrange power. now, the questions: could i have knocked the carbs out of synch by removing them and putting them back on? also, i did all the work outside, so would it be more likely some dirt managed to get inside the carbs and plug up the jets? finally, is there a way to synch the carbs w/o buying a reserve tank (i.e. anyone know how to build a cheap reserve tank that'll feed the carbs gas ?) thanks a million

could i have knocked the carbs out of synch by removing them and putting them back on?
    no.

however, you may have knocked some 'junk' free...which can clog things. if you can remove them, take off the bowls and spray out the inerds of the carbs with some carb cleaner.

as for a 'remote tank', get bench or tall chair, and find a hose from a hardware store that fits your petcock. run that 'remotely' to your carbs and you should good for syncing.

~Adam

Comment

good advice from AOD! If you keep searching this site you'll find all the info you need to get the job done yourself.

Comment

thanks guys. i'll look into it this weekend...

Comment

finally, is there a way to synch the carbs w/o buying a reserve tank (i.e. anyone know how to build a cheap reserve tank that'll feed the carbs gas ?)
          I went to a lawn mower shop and asked for a gas tank off of a beatup old lawn mower that had the right size outlet on it. I use a bungie cord to hold it between the handlebars while I'm syncing them.

Comment

I went to the hardware store and bought 6 feet of 5/16" vinyl tubing. I remove the gas tank and sit it beside the bike on a stool that puts the bottom
            of the gastank about 6 inches above the carbs. Connect the vinyl tubing and turn the petcock to prime.

Earl

is there a way to synch the carbs w/o buying a reserve tank
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
            X