timing marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

timing marks

what i need to know is how to set up the timing marks on the cam sprockets with the t and f marks on the contact breakers (points) plate.I also noticed a notch on the end of each cam, they are on the end towards the right side or points side of the bike. Can these also be used as timing marks to set the timing.

Re: timing marks

What bike?
    Are you trying to set cam timing or ignition timing?

Earl

Originally posted by pothole
    what i need to know is how to set up the timing marks on the cam sprockets with the t and f marks on the contact breakers (points) plate.I also noticed a notch on the end of each cam, they are on the end towards the right side or points side of the bike. Can these also be used as timing marks to set the timing.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

78 gs 1000, need cam timing, I think I can set the ignition timing

Comment

Take the ignition cover off the right end of the crankshaft. Rotate the crank with a 19 mm wrench until viewed through the timing window, you see the marks
        |
        |T
        When these marks are lined up, this is TDC for #1 and #4

The camshaft sprocket marked with a 2 at the 12 oclock position and a 1 at the 3 oclock position is the exhaust sprocket. The numbers face the right side of the bike. The sprocket marked with a 3 at the 12 oclock position is the intake sprocket. Number faces the right side of the bike.

With the crank at TDC on the marks as above, the exhaust cam is set with the mark in front of the 2 pointing perpendicular to the head. (the 1 will be point towards the valve cover gasket surface) The sprocket is also marked EX. The camshaft is marked with an L and an R, make sure L is on the left and R is on the right side. Pull on camchain enough to insure no slack is left between the top end and the crankshaft sprocket. With exhaust cam sprocket in position, wrap camchain over the exhaust sprocket. Position cam chain on intake sprocket so there are exactly 20 pins between mark/arrow 2 on exhaust sprocket and mark/arrow 1 on intake sprocket. The pin directly above the 2 mark/arrow on the exhaust sprocket is the 1st pin. The pin directly above the 1 mark/arrow on the intake sprocket is the 20th pin. When done with sprocket installation, recount pins and rechech arrow positions. Recheck TDC mark through timing window on crankshaft.

Ignition timing is 37 deg BTDC at full advance which is at 2350 rpm. That is on the |F4 mark for the left pointset (cylinders 1 and 4) and is on the |F3 mark for the right pointset (cylinders 2 and 3) This timing can be done with a timing light and engine running, or if you can hold the advance weights extended, it can be set static with a continuity light. You can also static set the timing utilizing the non advance position using the |F1 for the 1-4 side and the |F2 for the 2-3 side. Be certain you have your point gaps set to 14 thousandths and use a continuity light to set them. Eyeball and feel is not good enough.

Give a yell if you need any clarification or whatever. :-)

Earl

78 gs 1000, need cam timing, I think I can set the ignition timing

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

pothole: if you do a search for a post by me you'll be able to find the GS1000 manual for download. I think searching for "GS1000 manual" or "GS1100 fiche" should be able to find the post.

Cheers, Steve

Comment

Thanks earlfor and srivett,Timed it then tuned it with a timing light. Purrs like a kitten, I also found the manual, downloading it now.

Comment

:-) :-) :-) :-)

Earl

Thanks earlfor and srivett,Timed it then tuned it with a timing light. Purrs like a kitten, I also found the manual, downloading it now.

Comment

Working...
              X