Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on coils from points to electronic ign

My 78 GS1000E has electronic ignition kit installed. Don't
    know what kind, it was installed 2 owners ago.

My question is whether the coils should have been changed.
    I believe the coils (at least wires) are bad now, due to
    rough running in damp weather. The wires are 25 years old...

Anyway, anyone have any good luck or recommendations for
    a good coil type that has replaceable wires?

And do I need a special coil due to the electronic ign conversion?

Thanks

Back in 1996 I bought a 1979 GS850GN, which had an after-market Martek electronic ignition. The previous owner had this bike for several years, during which the stock coils were used in conjunction with said ignition. I had this bike for two riding seasons, during which I experienced no ignition problems of any kind.

Of course, the bike was garaged all this time, both by the previous owner and by me, so I didn't subject it to continued contact with wet weather.
    In any event, the stock coils should work well with an installed electronic ignition.

Nick

Comment

when i bought my 78 750 last year i thought it had points untill i pulled the cover only to see a dyna s system! i called a bike shop and recomended the accel 3ohm coil kit, it works great!

Comment

I have had a '78 GS750 for 12 years. I installed a Boyer Brandsen electronic ignition before I even brought it home. It has stock coils. No problems. Nuff said. 8)
        Kevin
        E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
        "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
        Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

I have run electronic ignitions with stock and after market coils. A martek melted on me and took out the aftermarket coils as well. With points in another aftermarket coil went as well....Since then standard coils have not missed a beat. I now run a UK optical electroic ignition unit.

I think the electronic ignition makes more difference than the coils, and I run a high compression stage 3 motor.

Check all the connections. The plug leads may leaking spark power if the boots and leads are old and cracked.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I'll try the 3ohm coils out. The stocks are just too $$$
            and have the molded wires (from my experience the
            wires go first in normal wear and tear.)

-mike

Comment

my bike is an 86 with electronic ignition. wires went bad and I replaced the coils with CBR600F3 units(screw on/replacable wires). I got em for 15.00 (that includes the shipping). They work very well. just had to use some creative mounting . stock wiring even hooked right up. these coils measure out at aprox. 3.5 ohms.(stock ones around 4.5).

I hate throwing money at the local price gougers (dealer).

krash

Comment

forgot to say I got em on ebay. about a month ago there were three sets on for auction.

Comment

Goin' to ebay right now. THANKS!

I have 2 other bikes that need coils too!

Comment

Working...
                  X