I know this may sound stupid but....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this may sound stupid but....

...I thought I'd run it by you all for verification and inspection.

Okay, here goes...
    I went to put the 3-point case guards on my 81'GS750L last night and I believe i will need longer bolts. The case guards add anywhere from 1/2 an inch to a full inch (on the left side bottom mount) of metal to the equation. I am going to the hardware store to find bolts that are the same type but longer. Is there anything I should look out for or keep in mind when I get there?

Thank you all,
    Dm of mD

Try to match the grade of the existing bolts with the replacements. Look on the bolt head for hash marks which indicate the hardness of the bolts. Try to get your replacements at a bike or auto parts place rather than a hardware store.

Comment

Try to match the grade of the existing bolts with the replacements. Look on the bolt head for hash marks which indicate the hardness of the bolts. Try to get your replacements at a bike or auto parts place rather than a hardware store.

Comment

Look on the bolt head for hash marks which indicate the hardness of the bolts.
        Just for reference, 3 "tick" marks arranged radially is for an SAE grade 5 bolt and 6 tick marks is for SAE grade 8, in imperial bolts sizes. If you are looking at metric bolts (which I expect they are), you want a grade 10.9. It is the metric equivalent of the SAE grade 8. Do not use a bolt that you cannot get the grade info on, there are some very cheap bolts available that are made with no material specifications at all and they can be useless or even dangerous if used in a critical application.

Mark

Comment

Heh. I'd call the lower engine mount a critical application...

Comment

Thank youall. The bolts on the engine mounts for my bike all say "7". The bolts I replaced the upper mount bolts with match up but this bottom left bolt....jesus help me I can't find a replacement anywhere. See other post with pics...

Dm of mD

Comment

Try a fastener store for your bolts. You'll find a much better selection and much cheaper prices. I've purchased bolts for $.75 that the dealership wanted $12 for.

Comment

Crud, all the fastener stores seem to be in baltimore....1 hour away.

Damnit. Time to try the 3/8's tap method.

Dm of mD

Comment

Get something that is metric. If not, get something that uses metric wrenches like 7/16" = 11mm wrench or 1/2" = 13mm The less wrenches flying around the bike the better.

Steve

Comment

Specs found!!!

M8 x 1.25Pitch x 100mm is what I need!!!
                    Fastener store guy helped me out and a whole lot more!

The hunt begins!!!
                    And if it fails I will try the "Tap" method. The fastener store guy mentioned that on the phone too!!

Dm of mD

Comment

found this place by searching with google http://www.boltdepot.com/product.asp...&cm=22&cd=1328 haven't ever delt with them but they will sell just 1 most of the other places want you to buy about 10 or more.

Comment

Whoa! Kewl link dude! They do sell singularly too!
                        I'll buy a set of bolts from them...they're so cheap too!!!

Thanks a bunch!
                        Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
                        X