• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise range

Well, got 103 miles before I had to hit reserve on the
    78 GS1000e. That's doing 15 mile jaunts to and from
    work, cruising home in cool weather around midnight
    (have to enrich longer). Stop and go for about half the
    trip as I wander through north allentown and catasaqua.

How's that cruise range compare to others? I suspect its
    remarkably low.

-mike

how many miles to the gallon does that equal???

Comment

Yes I think your mileage is a bit low. My 1100GZ is now giving me a good 41 mpg on average and I seem to always tank up with about 3.5 to 3.8 gallons. But I am not reaching the reserve level when I do. Only had to flip the petcock once while on a ride, I was going up a long steep part of the highway.
      GY

Comment

Sounds like apprx. 25 mpg. Did you run all of those miles with the choke on? If not you've got something wrong.

Comment

I make about 139 miles before I go on reserve. That comes out to be about 37 mpg. I ride a little fast so I could probably get better milage if I were a little more conservative.

Hap

Comment

I average 200 miles before switching to reserve for a average of 40mpg.
            and have seen it up to 43mpg on a road trip on my 1000g.

Comment

Smile all you GS1000e types, My koot Scoot, (GS650GL), does around 120 km, (60 miles), before I have to go on reserve. It has a very small tank: 12 liters, or 3 gallons US. I have now stopped using the reserve tap and use the trip meter as my gas guage When I reach 160km, (100 miles), or so, I start looking ernestly for a gas station. I also carry a liter of gas in my saddle bag, and yes, I have used it on more than one occasion.

Comment

I only get about 175km(about 110 miles) to a tank of gas on my '78 GS750. It was like that that before I rebuilt it too. As far as miles per gallon, I've never figured it out. I just put gas in it when it starts running crappy near the 175km mark. 8)
                Kevin
                E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Fuel Consumption

In the year I have had this '82 GS1100G it has given me a high of 56mpg and a low of 31 mpg on two separate days of an 8-day trip. The 31 was in Nevada, freeway, hot, and in a hurry to find some shade. Another trip to SF in Feb-02 yielded an trip average of 51.4 mpg for the 1600 mile from Portland, OR there and back.

I like the power. The fuel mileage is frosting on the cake.

Comment

I think that's about 31-35 mpg, but i didn't
                    top the tank off yet, it's still in the driveway.

Tomorrow i'll have a better estimate. But I think
                    its about 3 to 3.5 gals from reserve to full tank.

I don't run enrich constantly, but, like my original
                    post said, it's all short trips, 1/2 city driving, and
                    1/2 night driving. Not optimal.

But my GPz1100 got about 40-50mpg and my
                    Goldwing got about 38 mpg. Seems like a nice
                    light bike (everythings relative,yes?) like the
                    GS1000 should be about 40 or more.

The local crappy dealer did some carb work for me
                    recently (hence my sig), and its still not quite right.

-mike

Comment

range?

I took a ride of about 125 miles two up today was averaging about 32 to 35 a lot of hills and slow twistys..............one up taking it easy I'll make about 45 mpg.................78GS1000e..................... .......ken..........

Comment

GS850G gas mileage

After starting to ride a lot this spring I tested the gas mileage on my 1980 GS850G a number of times. With a National Plexiglass III fairing on I got a consistant 42 mpg combined city/highway mileage. Most of this was back roads to and from work at aroung 60 mph with an occasional interstate trip thrown in at 70 mph. Since I have changed fairings to a Pacifico Aero XP my mileage has went to 48-52 mpg! The new fairing is much more aerodynamic and really cuts through the air. Even the turbulence created by 18 wheelers doesn't really effect it much. I have full lowers on it also which may increase the mileage a little. Today I purchased some plexiglass to make a bigger windshield for it which may or may not improve the mileage a little bit--we'll see. Terry

Comment

You may need some attention paid to the carbs.

Checked yesterday to see what mileage my 82 1100G gets, after spending close to 1/2 hour in 1st or 2nd gear in stop-go highway traffic, (this is construction season here) and another 1 and 1/2 hours of city driving. Distance in this time not certain.

After filling up and translating from metric to us gallons/miles, it came to 175 miles @ 40 mpg
                          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Mike
                            After a long ride then the engine has been real warmup, remove the sparkplugs check the colour, they tell you a lot of the carbtunes. Lightbrown, maybe a little darker on the middle cylinders.
                            Lars

Comment

Working...
                            X