Master cylinder rebuild, GS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Master cylinder rebuild, GS1100

For the love of God, how do you get the dust boot back on?

It's been two hours now and I haven't made any progress...

Seriously, I changed the seals on the piston and put everything back together. The one thing I can't do is get the dust boot back in. I've tried everything I can think of that won't destroy the boot but I just can't get it back in.

Has anyone done this before? Any ideas?

Comment

Having just done my GS850GT brakes, the dust boot on the master cylinder is just a press-on fit - easy peasy.
      Now the CALIPER dust boot is a different matter - I have already ruined one trying to get it to fit inside the cylinder. Its diameter is far larger than the cylinder diameter and it just fouls the piston movement if forced into place. I really cannot see how anyone can get this to fit properly.
      I intend to just fit the boot loosely over the piston end and fit a suitable silicone o-ring into the cylinder channel, which should stop any dirt getting in. No doubt I will be stripping it down annually, but I would rather do this than risk the brake failing - or even seizing by that stoopid damned dust boot.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

In my zeal to get the bike back on the road (daily driver) I cut the top half off the master cylinder dust boot and got the remnents in the groove. I then put the circlip back in, under what was left of the dust boot (essentially an o-ring).

Unfortunately while bleeding the system the master cylinder started weeping around the piston. Not a total leak but just some moisture. At that point I gave up and went to see my friends at Exoticycle here in Sarasota. $50 later and I had a GSXR master cylinder and a spare lever and micro-switch (thanks John and Tommy!).

Now the 1100 has an adjustable brake lever and modern micro-switch for the brake light. The lever is bare aluminum so a quick blat with the emory paper and the clutch lever matches.

Bottom line: The bike is back on the road...

Comment

Good to hear you got it sorted.
          As for my caliper piston dust seal problem - I ended up binning the thing after trying every possible way to fit it. It was a TOUR MAX piston and seal set and I would recommend everyone AVOID it like the plague as it's a very poor quality aftermarket part. I managed to get the OEM part (No. 59308-45200) from Slingers in Preston (UK), which fitted perfectly.
          Thank you Slingers !

Comment

Working...
          X