A really strange problem w/ a GS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A really strange problem w/ a GS550

I have a 1981 GS550T with a really wierd problem. My problem is that the bike runs perfect (I mean perfect no rich or lean condition) under 5000rpm, but after that the bike dies and doesn't increase in rpm at all. For anyone who doesn't know much about this bike, it has the constant velocity carbs and a 4 into 2 pipes.

rev limiter

It almost sounds like a rev limiter but I can't imagine that your bike would have one of those!!?? :roll:
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Re: rev limiter

Originally posted by chuckycheese
      It almost sounds like a rev limiter but I can't imagine that your bike would have one of those!!?? :roll:
      I rode a Yamaha 250 street bike last night that actually had a rev limiter ..I bumped in every gear

Comment

Re: A really strange problem w/ a GS550

Sounds to me like the timing may be severly retarded.

Earl

Originally posted by Kyle
        I have a 1981 GS550T with a really wierd problem. My problem is that the bike runs perfect (I mean perfect no rich or lean condition) under 5000rpm, but after that the bike dies and doesn't increase in rpm at all. For anyone who doesn't know much about this bike, it has the constant velocity carbs and a 4 into 2 pipes.
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Could it be you have fuel starvation? Enough fuel to run up to the 5000rpm point but no more. Remove the hose off the petcock and turn the petcock to the prime position and see if there is a good flow. Use something to catch the gas in. If one of the carbs float was sticking then the engine would run roughly. I cannot imagine all the floats sticking.
          Just a thought.

Comment

Once while messing with Karen's bike I ran a screw in that I didn't know what it was. Turned out to be the high end throttle stop, it worked some what like a rev limiter, only could get about 3/4 throttle. Had to fix that fast she hated me, rode it to work and back that way. :twisted: Just for fun check on the carbs where the cables hook up, pull her wide open and see what it hits. Safe Riding, Bill

Comment

Yes Check for full throtle operation. Could the muffler be pluged??

Comment

Working...
              X