Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

clutch pushrod seal replacement needed (I think) and advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch pushrod seal replacement needed (I think) and advice.

I took delivery of a 1981 GS250T last weekend and managed to get it fired up this morning. The bike ran great - no smoke or noise - but after leaving it in my garage for a while I discovered a nice pool of oil underneath 8O

Some quick digging around reveals a shaft that (I think) is the clutch pushrod that is leaking. Here is a picture in case I am wildly off:

I'm no mechanic - having done little more than services on a variety of bikes - but don't mind having a go if I can get decent information. So I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me:

a) Is this the clutch pushrod?
    b) How easy is it to replace the seal there?
    c) How do I do it?

I am assuming that I can pry out the old seal and press a new one in place but it would help me enormously if someone could confirm and also tell me the best way (any tools or tricks) to do that.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Barry
    P.S. Alternatively I could just keep putting oil in it...

Barry replacing that seal is a fairly easy job. You may notice that first you are gonna need to remove the drive chain, then remove the pushrod (careful there may also be a loose ball bearing in there, I dont recall ) use a seal pick to hook the old seal out and then using a suitably sized socket install a new seal, replace the drive chain and away you go .
    Dink

Comment

Dink,

Thanks for the fast reply - much appreciated. I didn't realize that the rod had to come out - I assume it's just a push fit with a plate holding it there (under all that grunge)?

Thanks again!

Barry

Comment

There isn't anything holding the shaft in. They are easily replaced since they get damaged by broken chains.

Steve

Comment

Thanks! You guys are the best

I'll get a seal (Suzuki dealer is the best bet I assume) and I'll post an update once I have had time to fix it.

Barry

Comment

Just one tip, if the seal is similar to that on my GS450 -81 it has an "edge" holding it in place. The new one does not have this "lip" or "edge", know over here as a "lip ring seal". Originaly this meant that you would have to split the engine to change the seal, but just ripping out the old one replasing it with the new standard seal worked for me.

Comment

Thanks.

My Haynes manual says "remove the oil seal retaining plate, where fitted". Since mine has one of those it would seem reasonable to me that it should come out easily, but you can never be sure.

Barry

Comment

Mine said the same, but did'nt come out easy
                Just try it, and keep us informed!

Comment

Recently did this very repair on my 81 450L. My old one also had the retainer lip on the outer edge. Came out with a little persuasion, basically a small chisel and hammer! The new one slid right in place and no more leak! Seal was readily available from the local dealer and reasonably priced. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave J
                    Recently did this very repair on my 81 450L. My old one also had the retainer lip on the outer edge. Came out with a little persuasion, basically a small chisel and hammer! The new one slid right in place and no more leak! Seal was readily available from the local dealer and reasonably priced. Good luck!
                    Dave,

That is interesting but I am a little confused. I am assuming that I am going to have to pull this out from the engine and that a lip on the inside will try to hold it in - which leaves me wondering how a chisel and hammer would accomplish that Could you elaborate?

Thanks!

Barry
                    P.S. I just ordered the seal from www.bikebandit.com - they have a nice website that enables you to lookup schematics of the bikes and then order directly from the drawings - very easy.

Comment

I guess Dave did something like I did. Rip out the rubber parts, using a screwdriver or pliers, the only thing left is a metal ring with a lip on one side. Use the chisel to brake the ring, bending it inwards until you can remove it. Try to awoid scratching or the new one might not seal properly. I used some sealant in there as well.

PS: The new seal looks different, only the dimension are the same. (At least mine did)

Comment

Working...
                      X