airbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

airbox

The airbox on my'82 GS1100E has two holes on the bottom. One obviously for air intake with a rubber boot, and another very small hole that looks like it might have been worn in. Should there be just the one hole or does this small hole serve a purpose? It is at the end of the small bump molded into the airbox next to the larger hole. It is no bigger than one of the smilies.

Thanks,
    Billy Miles

I think it's supposed to be there, as a drain. Mine's made into a toolbox and has tape covering the bottom, but I think I felt a hole under the tape, where you described

Comment

I jost took a look at mine and it looks like the small hole is supposed to be there and used as a drain hole.

Comment

Re: airbox

It doesnt matter what a hole that small was originally there for. It will make no difference to the intake mixture. Consider it a drain and forget about it. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by 78gs550
        The airbox on my'82 GS1100E has two holes on the bottom. One obviously for air intake with a rubber boot, and another very small hole that looks like it might have been worn in. Should there be just the one hole or does this small hole serve a purpose? It is at the end of the small bump molded into the airbox next to the larger hole. It is no bigger than one of the smilies.

Thanks,
        Billy Miles
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks guys, I guess I will skip the JB Weld .

Comment

Hey Billy , I too have the little 1/4 " hole in my air filter box, & thought it was drilled in during the re-jetting for the 4x1 exhaust....guess thats not the case. Since I had the box out I pulled ot the air filter to inspect & blast some compressed air through the inside, as per the manual. The pleated paper filter element has a foam sleeve wrapped around it....this sleeve is extremely delicate, and seems ready to fall apart (22 years will do that, eh?), though the paper element has no visible dirt, and is still as white as new (the bike has only 7000 km. on it). I am considering using only the paper filter cylinder and leaving out the foam sleeve....I doubt replacement filters come with the foam anyway.....any thoughts on this? Anyone?
            Tony.
            '82 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
            X