Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I prepare an o-ring chain that's been in storage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I prepare an o-ring chain that's been in storage?

I've been running a few things through my head and I was wondering about the chain on my 1100. It hasn't been used for over a year and I want to ride it late this summer without ruining the o-ring chain. I figure that the o-rings will have gotten themselves stuck to the plates on the chain and I'm unsure how to loosen them up.

Steve

Is the chain rusted? Or just sitting with the old lube on it. Stored indoors or out?

If it is in resonably good condition. I would pull it, put it in a pan and either soak it or heavy spray with a O-ring compatible oil and gradually work it back to life. If you want I can inquire next week with my buddy that owns a bike shop to see if he has any more tips.
    Charlie

Comment

The chain is fairly clean, it's definately not grungy, and the bike has been indoors the whole time.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
        The chain is fairly clean, it's definately not grungy, and the bike has been indoors the whole time.

Steve
        If that is the case, IMO you can probably just put it on the centerstand or elavate the rear wheel and work in a couple of coats of a good quality sticky 0-ring chain oil while roatating the wheel/chain. I do inside rollers first and then spray the out sides. Let it setup good minimize the throw off.

Charlie

Comment

I'd go one step further. After the lube. Clean off the excess chain lube with kerosene on a rag (won't hurt o-rings) and give the chain a good coat of chain wax.

Comment

A good clean with kero on a rag would get rid of built up gunge, then lube well. This is what the facory manul says for regular maintenance.

Comment

To prepare an O ring chain a buttery garlic sauce is recommended by some...

Seriously, (who me?) spray that chain with lots of WD-40, cleans and lubes in one easy step. Final lube with chain wax, I use Maxima, and it will be ready to go!

Serve up with sunny days and twisty roads!

Comment

Working...
              X