Chain Breakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain Breakers

Has anyone bought a chain breaker for the large chains on bikes? Is there multiple sizes? I have a small one for bicycles so I know how they work.

I just got a project bike for a friend and I need to remove the chain to remove the engine. There is no master link!!!

They come in different sizes check with DennisKirk or other supplier and you can find different ones. If you need one for 630 chain they are harder to find ands fairly expensive.

You can remove the link by grinding or cutting the end off of a link with a dremel tool that then using a drift punch to remove the pin.

Mike

Comment

I purchased one of the smaller types of breakers a few years ago. It worked once & then busted!
      Get a decent one or do like mdole says and grind off a rivet end.

Comment

I was talking to Phil at moto-heaven and he said to buy one but not to use it. Save it for an emergency because the pins break.

Steve

Comment

I also had a cheap one, it broke first time! I have a better one that breaks 630 chains like they are not there. If you definitely do not need to reuse the chain, use an angle grinder to grind off the rivet - none of this dremel stuff!

Comment

For a 530 or smaller chain, use motionpro's chain breaker and other tools to press back together and peen the ends properly. http://www.motionpro.com/Docs/chaintools.html (you can find them on ebay) They are a bit expensive, but they work.

If you have a 420 to 630 chain, get one from Pingel (the drag bike guys) http://www.pingelonline.com/chain.htm#BREAKER Part #CBT $54.95

Comment

JC Whitney sells a Motion Pro chain breaker for 24.95 it will handle chains up to and including the big 630. Folds so you can even take it with you. Tip is easy to break tho' replacement is 3.79. www.jcwhitney.com I have one and it works vey well.

Comment

Working...
              X