Intake Manafold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake Manafold?

1980 GS850G; When removing the carbs for rebuild, I broke one of the intake manifolds. (That is what I am calling it anyway.) It is the rubber hose affixed to the metal flange that bolts to the head connecting the carbs to the head. The #3 ?manafold? broke off like it has been separated for years. Is there an adhesive I can use to reattach the rubber part? I am hopeful I will not have to buy one of these things. Also please do me a favor and tell me what this thing is called if not an intake manifold.
    Another discovery was that the air box to carb ?boots? are nothing more than a cut up radiator hose and some sturdy zip ties. They seem to work fine, and I am planning on replacing them with new hose (not dry-rotted) in much the same manor. Any problems with this, please let me know too.
    Thank you,
    Patrick

I've always just called them intake boots, some call them intake pipes, others intake hoses. You could try some automotive Goop or something but if it were me, I would replace it. I don't know if anything is going to hold properly. Someone may chime in and know of a product that would work and is heat and gas resistant.

I would also replace the airbox boots as well, but if your not getting any air leaks with the rad hose, you could just replace it with that. It doesn't see any heat and shouldn't see any fuel either, but in the even that you get a stuck float or needle valve and fuel does leak back into the airbox, I'm not sure how resistant rad hose is to fuel. Just my $.02

Comment

Something you don't want to hear----- REPLACE all 4 of them It will avoid alot of problems trying to get the bike to run properly

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
        Something you don't want to hear----- REPLACE all 4 of them It will avoid alot of problems trying to get the bike to run properly
        I second that. The other 3 manifolds are probably brittle. Save yourself a lot of trouble and replace them and any o-rings in them.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Has the bike got standard carbs on it? I don't know why it would have radiator hose on the airbox side unless the carbs had been changed or different airbox used. If the carbs had been forced into the intake manifolds this could have lead to their failure.

Comment

These appear to be stock carbs. I have no idea what the original connection from the carbs to the airbox were. To me they appeared to be correct until I pulled it apart and saw them up close. Since this is pre-carburetor, I will probably just make sure that I seal them up good.
            However, I see the necessity to be very air tight post-carburetor. Where would I buy the 4 intake boots? I haven?t found them on any of the typical recommendations ?Bike Bandit, or ReCycle.? I dread going to the dealer for yet another overpriced piece of plastic.
            I am trying to get this beast on the road cheaply. This is a starter bike with over 60,000 miles on it.
            Patrick

Comment

they are $11.53 on bike bandit, i have to do mine too

Comment

Replace them all with new ones.

Nick

Comment

i second that it's worth 50 bucks and new carbs next i hope, if i can figure out the best ones to get for like 400?

Comment

intake hoses

Hi Patrick,

The exact same thing happened to me last week when removing my carbs. I reckon it has been like that for months. I started to hunt for a new set but they will cost me over ?80 pounds. I ended up getting a set last night on ebay for ?16.00 They are a used set off a GS750 and they have the same dimensions as my own so they will b worth a try and slightly cheaper than a new set. Will b better than nothing to get me up and running for the spring until i can get a brand new set.Try ebay anyway and good luck!

Brendan

Comment

Working...
                    X