1985 GS550L Keeps blowing headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 GS550L Keeps blowing headlight

Was boiling the battery and getting 18v with bike running. Replaced RR with Electrex. Now 13.5v with the bike running. Everything else seems fine but headlight blows after 15 min of riding. All wiring looks fine. Wiring diagram makes it look like all the lamps are on the same relative circuit. HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Thanks.

Paul Rieff

does your 550 have a sealed beam headlight or does it use a H-4 replacement bulb?
    if your headlight uses the replacable halogen bulb, do not touch the glass, the oils from your skin will cause the bulb to burn out prematurly.

Comment

It is the halogen. I know not to touch the bulb. I have gone through 4 bulbs. The low beam lasts about 15 min and the high beam lasts just a little longer. Any help would be appreciated.

Paul Rieff

Comment

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Paul Rieff

Comment

try unpluging the headlight and starting up the bike and use a multimeter and see what the voltage is at the headlight.

also check the mounts for the headlight, and that the bulb is secure and not loose rattling in the head light assembly.
          halogen bulbs dont like rattling around, it blows the elements.

also use two pairs of sunglasses, and with the bike running, look through the sun glasses and see if both filiments are lit up, if both are lit up, the bulb will over heat causing premature failure.

Comment

Working...
          X