GS750EX with trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750EX with trouble

:? Here's my first post -- I have an 81 GS750 that I've been working to get on the road again after a few years. I rebuilt the carbs and set the fuel mixture screws according to the book. The bike started and ran fine for 2 days, then just yesterday it started to surge and stall at idle. It'll restart and run with a little help from me, but spits a little. While riding, if I come to a stop it'll will idle high for about 20 seconds then slowly decrease RPM until it wants to stall. Gas it, it idles high etc. When I accelerate it has a sputter, but will pull out of it under heavy acceleration. Clues?

Roger Moore

Are you 007............I wish that I could help you but i am sure that someone can locally

Comment

Nope, wish I was, then I'd have Q figure it out for me 8)

Comment

Hi Roger I have an 82 750 had same probs with it ended up dipping my carbs 3 times to get rid of prob you should try it sounds like you got tank grit in the carbs and if you don`t have a fuel filter get one major time saver ....trust me can pull and strip my carbs in 15 minutes flat now LOL and if your ever up on Vancouver Island give me a shout

ranzan@shaw.ca

Comment

That sort of brings me (roughly) to a new question I'll post outside, but here too. The mixture screws on this bike can (if I recall) be screwed all the way down to the stops, but the bike still runs. I was trying to adjust these (pre-trouble) and didn't see much affect. Theoretically, is this possible?

I'm going to drain the carbs into glass jars next chance I get to see if I have any grit. Filter, sounds like a very good idea -- why didn't I think of that? :roll:

Comment

Roger better to get an actual dip kit local auto or bike shop should have these the one I used was made by gunk I let my carbs sit for a couple of hours each in the end just to make sure I got everything out especially the varnish but make sure you get all the o`rings and anything rubber off before you dip them the gunkloves rubber mixture screws all the way in ......never tried it but I wouldn`t do it all the way in is running REALLY lean end up meesing it up if you run it long like that Got the clymer book for prestting the needles think it is 1 and 1/4 turns but not sure will look it up for you but when you turn mixture screws in do not bottom them out tight you`ll mess the needle`s up bad

Comment

I did use the Berryman's dip, with the little basket and all. I've rebuilt 100's of carbs before, and so knew the best routine. I bought 4 K&L kits, rebuilt them to like pristene condition (even polished #1 and 4 again). I have the Clymer(sp) book, but it's pretty vauge about the fine details on these carbs. I actually used the carb series here on the GS Resources site to walk me through to make sure I had all the hidden pieces removed before I dunked them. These are the same as mine. I left each carb in overnight. I was without this bike for 5 years, I didn't figure 4 more days would make much difference. But as I said, it ran really well for about 2 days (actual milage about 50 miles), then the stalling and rough running issue arose.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X