Choke Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choke Question

Started the bike up today for the first time in a few months. It was a bit sluggish a first and didn't wanna run. Once it warmed up a bit with the choke on full the rpm would jump to 5k idleing. I moved the choke into about halfway point and it dropped back down. Fine. But when i turned the choke all the way off the rpm shot up again.
    WTF? It wasn't doing this when I stored the bike.

I am not the expert James but I would clean the carbs a bit for sure. Sounds like maybe it gummed up a bit. Also make sure that the choke cable is actually lifting the choke off. It may be stuck?

Comment

Re: Choke Question

This is common. What is happening is that the length of cable the choke know can pull is greater than the travel of the choke mechanism on the carbs. When you pull the choke know all the way out, you have wedged the choke mechanism on the carbs at full choke. When you push in the choke know, a cable cannot push, so the choke remains at full setting. Reach down with your finger and push one of the choke mechanisms on the carb back down until it is seated at the bottom of its travel. Under you gas tank, on the carb rack, you will find a bracket that holds the choke cable. There is a barrel and a nut fitted into the top of the bracket. Turn the threaded portion as far as it will go into the bracket. This will reduce the effective amount of cable the choke knob will pull. Alternatively, you could just remember that 3/4 of the pull/travel on the choke knob is 4/4 travel on the carb choke.

Earl

Originally posted by James
      Started the bike up today for the first time in a few months. It was a bit sluggish a first and didn't wanna run. Once it warmed up a bit with the choke on full the rpm would jump to 5k idleing. I moved the choke into about halfway point and it dropped back down. Fine. But when i turned the choke all the way off the rpm shot up again.
      WTF? It wasn't doing this when I stored the bike.
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I have the same problem on my 81 550L. I have checked, the choke is going off all the way. it has plenty of power, its like the throttle i s stuck. could this be clogged air jets?

Comment

Why not try turning your idle adjustment knob to lower the idle?

Earl :-)

Originally posted by hardtail550
          I have the same problem on my 81 550L. I have checked, the choke is going off all the way. it has plenty of power, its like the throttle i s stuck. could this be clogged air jets?
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

neverthoughtofthat.shouldialsoputmypantsononelegat atime?

Comment

OK, I'm in a better mood now. Here is exactly what is going on. Bike starts, and with choke on fully is at 4500 rpm. take choke off, idles down to 1200. Rundown the street and idle goes back up, never below 3500. only goes up when "hot" after 5 minutes of regular idle and riding. The choke bar is not stuck out, filter is new and no leaks in any of the boots. I think there is a blocked passage or some kind of vacuum leak, but haven't been able to find it.

Comment

This question is about the Yamana, and not my GS which runs perfect. When I start it on the choke, it will run like sh## for about 5 minutes, then the rpm wil rise, I reduce the choke, it will Idle for about a minute, then the rpm will rise. At this point I will eliminate the choke, but then it won't really idle, it stumbles, and if I don't blip the throttle every once and a while, it will stall. After about ten minutes of riding it will now idle. But the engine has to be really warm for it to idle. Why? The carb is clean (it's a single). The float stops the flow of gas, and the plug is always clean (beige-white). Throw me a bone if you can.
                thanks

Comment

you need to set your single carb with a vaccuum guage attached and set for max suction at idle, 2000, and 4000 RPM's. after 4k your in the power settings which would only show probs at WOT. hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                  X