No announcement yet.

Bad Starter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I spoke to someone recently that had starter problems.
    A refresh of the starter motor has resulted in the starter running in reverse. When he first explained what he had done and what was happening I was sure he had starter clutch syndrome..
    But he swears blind the starter motor is running backwards.. battery polarity is correct so I can only assume he has wired the new brushes backward..

Simon

Thats not a bad tip of fuel tap seep and starter clutch problem..
    I have two bikes that suffer periodic starter clutch problems.. one is high compression driven. the other I am not so sure.. I check the oil level and do not see excess fluid from fuel tap seepage, but wonder if I get a build up in the cylinders

Comment

It seems you may not be the first to come across a backwards running starter. :-) :-) what can go wrong will........as they say. eh eh

Earl

[quote="simon lambert"]
      A refresh of the starter motor has resulted in the starter running in reverse. When he first explained what he had done and what was happening I was sure he had starter clutch syndrome..
      But he swears blind the starter motor is running backwards.. battery polarity is correct so I can only assume he has wired the new brushes backward..
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

You will need to remove the rotor and that takes a special rotor removal tool that will cost about $30. If you need to remove the rotor, BUY THE TOOL. Because, if you mess up the crankshaft threads or damage your rotor, it is going to COST bucks.......and without the right tool, you will. I dont know the size you would need for a 650. I think it is a 34mm, but that is just my best guess.
        It looks like this is my problem. Where's the best place to find one of these tools and how can I tell what size I'd need?

Comment

I measured the threaded end of the crankshaft at the rotor with a set of calipers. any cycle repair shop should be able to order a rotor puller (for the stator rotor) in their aftermarks parts supplier books. You could also order one from cycle recycle online. http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/
          I dont believe they list rotor pullers on their site, but their phone is
          317 634 7550. I am sure they can order one for you. I have ordered a
          LOT of stuff from these guys and they are great! I think you could call them, say what bike you have and they will probably have the book to look up the correct puller. Their prices are very fair too. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by GeneralFailure
          You will need to remove the rotor and that takes a special rotor removal tool that will cost about $30. If you need to remove the rotor, BUY THE TOOL. Because, if you mess up the crankshaft threads or damage your rotor, it is going to COST bucks.......and without the right tool, you will. I dont know the size you would need for a 650. I think it is a 34mm, but that is just my best guess.
          It looks like this is my problem. Where's the best place to find one of these tools and how can I tell what size I'd need?
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

The last guy to have his starter run backwards put the housing on facing the wrong way. I dunno if this can cause the same problem on a GS, I've never tried.

Steve

Comment

I can speak from personal experience. On my 85 GS550L, I had the starter professionally (yeah, sure) rebuilt. When I got it back, it spunt the wrong direction. All I had to do was to flip the case end for end, and all was cool again. Since then, I scribed a mark on the case and on each end cap, if the marks don't line up right, I know the case is in backward.

Comment

And yes, sadly I too can now speak from experience, there was nothing wrong but a starter spinning in the wrong direction.

Comment

I am thankful for this post.

I brought my bike in to a mechanic which I've never done before simply because I have three kids, we are moving and I don't have the time to work on the bike - I'd rather be riding it. I wanted my "starter clutch" problem resolved, a tune up, a few other odds and ends that I've done before. My mechanic has a GS1100E, so I figure he's the lesser of a few evils.

I read this post (I posted about 5 days ago) and called the mechanic to suggest that perhaps the starter was working in reverse. He laughed and said he'd never seen that before - he was certain it was a starter clutch problem. I told him to bench test the starter before opening the case. He was skeptical, but agreed to do this - figured he'd charge me extra to get the starter out, so why would he complain.

Sure enough, the starter cranked in reverse. When I went in to pick it up (to take it back to the rebuilder), the mechanic had his entire staff sitting around a vice holding my starter wondering what the hell was going on as my polarity was correct, etc. None of these guys had seen anything like it and were laughing out loud about the "possessed starter". I became concerned that so many GS'ers seemed to have this experience but these crusty looking mechanics were absolutely enthralled by this.

I picked it up and took it to the rebuilder who said it was a simple mistake and would have my working starter back the next day.

ANDY

Comment

Working...
                  X