tool kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tool kit

I need a favor that will save me many hours. Could one of you good folks take a look at the tools and tell me what you carry with you on the bike. Then I can head for Sears Hardware with my list and credit card and CHARGE IT.

A set of metric wrenches and sockets up to 21 mm for the drain plug. You'll need a 15/16 wrench for the axle (if it's the same size as my 400, I don't know the metric equivalent) and a 31 mm socket for the countershaft sprocket (again, if it's the same as my 400). An impact driver will be the most important thing you pick up. An inch pound torque wrench with 3/8 and 1/2" drive adapters would be nice if you decide to put your bike back together. That's about it unless you want specific sizes but it's cheaper to buy a set and then take what you need to leave on the bike. Vicegrips, pliers, snap ring pliers (light duty and medium duty), tire irons, feeler guages, and a tire guage are also nice. 15 pounds of standard thread pitch plated nuts and bolts would be good too. Lots of M6 x 10 mm.

I love shopping for tools! I just walk the aisles and buy whatever I don't have as long as I can figure out what it does.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
      A set of metric wrenches and sockets up to 21 mm for the drain plug. You'll need a 15/16 wrench for the axle (if it's the same size as my 400, I don't know the metric equivalent) and a 31 mm socket for the countershaft sprocket (again, if it's the same as my 400). An impact driver will be the most important thing you pick up. An inch pound torque wrench with 3/8 and 1/2" drive adapters would be nice if you decide to put your bike back together. That's about it unless you want specific sizes but it's cheaper to buy a set and then take what you need to leave on the bike. Vicegrips, pliers, snap ring pliers (light duty and medium duty), tire irons, feeler guages, and a tire guage are also nice. 15 pounds of standard thread pitch plated nuts and bolts would be good too. Lots of M6 x 10 mm.

I love shopping for tools! I just walk the aisles and buy whatever I don't have as long as I can figure out what it does.

Steve
      Thanks steve,
      I've got all that in the tool box I was looking for a riding tool ket to keep on the bike.
      I woorked part time at Sears Hardware afor 4 years as the tool guy it was great. but that explains why I have so may tools and no $$$

Comment

Steve is planning a cross country trip

Comment

heh, I didn't notice you were planning on carrying the stuff. A 10 mm wrench and deep socket is pretty much all you need along with some wiring supplies. Maybe a 5/16" (8 mm?) socket and a large phyllips screw driver. If you need anything else buy it on the road where ever you're buying the replacement parts and work in the parking lot so you can run in and buy more tools.

Steve

Comment

Hi

This is what I have put in a side bag of my mc

8-10-11-12-13-14 mm wrenches.
            19 mm wrench for front axle.
            24 mm wrench for rear axle.
            21 mm plug socket.
            Tireguage
            Plier
            Fuses
            H4 lamp
            Tape
            Some electric wire
            Strips
            Paper towel

Einar Skog
            GS1000GLx

Comment

To add to Steve's list, a 12mm wrench, a crescent wrench, and black tape. Actually, all you REALLY need is a roll of duct tape and some WD-40!
              Kevin
              E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
              "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
              Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Originally posted by mcycle-nut
                To add to Steve's list, a 12mm wrench, a crescent wrench, and black tape. Actually, all you REALLY need is a roll of duct tape and some WD-40!
                Swiss army knife and duct tape (Red or Green) got it.

Comment

the factory suzuki fork compresion tool can come in handy if youmhave a flat on the rear.

Comment

Hey I got one of them thar cables too

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                      Hey I got one of them thar cables too
                      and the handle and extension?

Comment

Yep 8) I have the complete factory tool kit

Comment

Working...
                        X