Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaking cam chain tensioner on 82' GS1100E.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking cam chain tensioner on 82' GS1100E.

There seems to be oil leaking from the cam chain tensioner and it isn't at the gasket. It was leaking in the fall and I've been working on the entire bike over the winter and did replace the cam chain tensioner gasket. Can they leak from within somewhere within and can they be rebuilt?

There are two o-rings and one seal. They are famous for leaking once they're disturbed. They don't always show up on the dealers viewer or Bikebandit pic's. The ones for my '79 GS1000E were found to be the same as '82/'83 GS1100 and many others.
    Camchain tensioner set screw o-ring: p/n 09280-06005
    Camchain tensioner shaft seal: p/n 09284-10006
    Camchain tensioner large o-ring: p/n 09280-21013
    The large o-ring usually is not the cause of the leak but I replaced anyway.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Also, inspect the tensioner for FULL tensioning ability. Using the little hole where the end of the outer spring goes into as a reference point, my tensioners range was from 7:00 to 5:00. However, my spring was weak and stopped advancing at about 1:00. I wound the spring back one full turn and now the tensioner works along its whole range now.
      I'm glad my tensioner was leaking or I may have found out about the weak spring the hard way.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Cam Tension O-Ring: 09280-06005 One large, one small
        Cam Tension O-Ring: 09280-21013 Which one is which?
        Cam Tension Seal: 09284-10006 10x16x4
        Cam Tension Gasket: 12837-47010

Motorsports world has the two o-rings in stock and you can get the seal at the bearing shop on Kent. I don't believe they have the gasket as I've always had mine ordered in.

Cheers, Steve

Comment

Can I remove the tensioner and replace it without having to remove the valve cover? I recently did a valve adjustment and replaced the gasket ane really don't feel like pulling it apart again.

Comment

I removed the cam chain tensioner without pulling the valve cover off deciding that it was alright. I've figured out where the small o-ring and the seal go but I can't seem to figure out where the large o-ring goes unless it was missing. Can anyone tell me exactly where it goes? The problem looks like it was the seal anyway since it it's in pretty rough shape but I may as well replace them all now that I have it apart.

Comment

The big one is under that giant screw cap thing. I needed a vice and something like a 25 mm wrench to get it off. I think you'll find that the o-ring has turned triangular due to age... :P

Steve

Comment

Thanks Srivett; It's a 30mm wrench which I don't have and my 30mm socket isn't deep enough but I managed to get it off with a large adjustable wrench. I stopped by Motorsports World and picked up the o-rings but didn't manage to get down to Kent St. so I just had MSP order me the seal. Is it General Bearing Supply the store you were mentioning that's on Kent St.?

Where about's are you in Ottawa?

Comment

Yeah, it was GBS I was thinking of but I wasn't sure of the name. I live in one of the big buildings at the Hogs Back but I'm letting the lease lapse at the end of April so I can sublet somewhere for the summer. I may move to Quebec if I can get a deal on insurance and rent, otherwise I'm thinking of moving to Kanata or Carleton Place. It's all up in the air right now but I've got a week in April to arrange something.

Steve

Comment

You're not far from me at all. I'm just off Viewmount between Fisher and Merivale. Are you talking about Gatineau when you say Quebec? When the weather gets a little nicer, maybe we should get together for a ride sometime. Are there any other GS owners on the board that live in Ottawa?

Comment

Working...
                    X