Starter Clutch---Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Clutch---Part 2

Finally got my rotor off (had someone do it for $10) and examination of the of the parts seems ok. The roller bearings have some slight markings/wearing that you can see and feel but the springs and pins that the springs fit into seem ok. Could this slight amount of wear on the rollers/bearings be the cause of my starter clutch slipping? Thanks!

Re: Starter Clutch---Part 2

NO, a little wear on the rollers will not cause the starter clutch to disengage/slip, its a sprague type clutch mechanism.
    On the back of the starter clutch, you will see three allen screws that secure the clutch to the back of the rotor. These machine screws show flush inside the rotor shell. Check to see that the allen heads showing on the starter clutch are in fact in the same place as the machine screw ends showing in the rotor housing. I suspect you have sheared bolts and the broken ends are grabbing just hard enough that it makes it appear the two parts are bolted tegether when in fact they are not. Remove the allen machine screws to verify that the parts are bolted together.

Earl

Originally posted by thekid
    Finally got my rotor off (had someone do it for $10) and examination of the of the parts seems ok. The roller bearings have some slight markings/wearing that you can see and feel but the springs and pins that the springs fit into seem ok. Could this slight amount of wear on the rollers/bearings be the cause of my starter clutch slipping? Thanks!
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Bolts ok

The bolts going thru the starter clutch set into the rotor are fine...and removal was difficult as they appeared to be installed with loctite or similar substance. Visual inspection of all parts has no obvious problems except the affore mentioned rollers being slightly scuffed. Could the springs have weakened?
      thanks

Comment

Back onthe road-Solution was

I ordered a complete new starter clutch from Ron Ayers for $127 total (Suzuki part number 12600-45830) and that solved my problem. The old parts showed very little wear but I guess it was enough that things slipped.......

I also made my own rotor removal tools by cutting off a crankshaft size bolt just leaving the threads, hacksawing a screwdriver slot into it and using the larger bolt to butt against the crank thread protecting things. worked like a charm.

Comment

I have seen rebuild kits for starter clutches I for got where, I will have to go look

Comment

Here is a repair kit

Comment

Working...
            X